• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hospital on Friday 19th terrified

V

vicky1982

I have to go to the local hospital on Friday 19th to have 8 teeth out.
They are using IV sedation and im terrified.
I dont understand the sedation some people say ill be awake some asleep.
Im so scared of waking up in the middle of it all not properly numb.
As it is i dont know if im going to actually go or not.
Plus i have a horrible needle phobia even the thought of that IV anywhere near me fills me with dread.
I know at the end of it all ill have a nice smile but i dont know if i can do it.

Any advice please?

Hi Vicky :welcome:
Well done for getting this far, please go, you will have a lovely smile and be so proud of it :hug2:. I didn't think I could do it and I'm glad I did.
Like you I was terrified of what I would feel, hear or be aware of. I had 23 teeth out in one go and can honestly say it was fantastic. Supposedly you are awake BUT if I was I have no memory of it. The IV went in, didn't hurt, just like a tiny scratch, I remember haning onto hubby for dear life, felt cold stuff in back of hand and next thing I knew I opened my eyes and it was all over and done with...23 teeth in 20 mins. Once you are sedated they numb your mouth so you don't feel any of those needles. I can praise IV sedation enough. Good luck, we are all here for you, Let us know how you get on

How was the pain afterwards?
Thats another thing that worries me that and walking around with 2 of my front teeth missing.

Vicky

Vicky, take a look at my post, 'Terrified....please reassure'

On Friday gone I had every single tooth taken out under general anesthetic. I was utterly terrified - but I sit here now and wonder why? The guys on here really reassured me and they were right. As for the needle in your hand, well, I didn't even know it had gone in??? It was so gentle. Read my posts and believe me, you will wonder what you were worrying about!

As for the pain afterwards, there's no denying it's uncomfortable, however, Ibuprofen and co-codamol knock everything on the head nicely. Of course I suppose pain's different for everyone but all my horrible nightmarish thoughts about my procedure just never materialised. You will be fine, guaranteed.
Wish you the best of luck, and like me, enjoy the thought of your new smile to come!
Robert
:jump:

robert is 100% correct in saying you'll wonder what you were worrying about!!

i had 3 teeth out 2 weeks ago with iv sedation (valium), and like you, i couldn't really imagine when they said i'd be awake, but not really aware, how that could be possible. i told them i was scared i would wake up in the middle and they said if at any point i seemed uncomfortable they could give me more medicine asap. the beauty of iv!

but it's true. i hardly felt the iv (and i know they can numb you with stuff before the needle to help!) and after they put in the medicine, i don't remember a thing about the procedure until i was walking to recovery.

i'm due to have 2 more wisdom teeth out sometime, and i won't lose one moment worrying about it. seriously, it's a wonderful thing!

the recovery will be recovery. nothing that pain medicine and time can't take care of! good luck, i'm sure you'll do great!!

:) ally

Good luck, I haven't had my IV yet but have exactly the same fears as you have listed. I am sure it will be fine, I have read so many positive things on here.

have decided to go to my appointment still terrified though.
I spoke to the nurse n she said i can see surgeon etc before its done and if im not comfortable i dont have to do it!
Feel a bit better now and will let you all know how i get on.

Thanks

Vicky

Vicky, the pain was minimal in the top (12 teeth out) was more uncomfortable than anything, unfortunately I had an infection in lower jaw so that gave me some pain, but I feel sure if I hadn't of had that infection then I probably wouldn't have needed painkillers

Well done for deciding to go to appointment, I know how scary it is, but if you overcome that and I know how hard it is, it is so worth it, get it all sorted and have a lovely smile ;D

Will be thinking of you, PM if you need to chat :hug2:

Julie

Vicky, take a look at my post, 'Terrified....please reassure'

On Friday gone I had every single tooth taken out under general anesthetic. I was utterly terrified - but I sit here now and wonder why? The guys on here really reassured me and they were right. As for the needle in your hand, well, I didn't even know it had gone in??? It was so gentle. Read my posts and believe me, you will wonder what you were worrying about!

As for the pain afterwards, there's no denying it's uncomfortable, however, Ibuprofen and co-codamol knock everything on the head nicely. Of course I suppose pain's different for everyone but all my horrible nightmarish thoughts about my procedure just never materialised. You will be fine, guaranteed.
Wish you the best of luck, and like me, enjoy the thought of your new smile to come!
Robert
:jump:
100 % correct ,general anesthetic, was really painless, they rub a cotton swab in the area they working in, with a a numming cream. so when they give the injection. Only thing i felt was a like some one pinching my gums. also most dentists more less hide the needle etc.. so you cant see it going in.

Hi, i am due to have a similar thing done around may time, i am terrified i am also going to hospital but to be put to sleep whilst they take every tooth out and put immendiate dentures in, i just keep telling myself that i cant handle no more toothache and it is not going to be any worse than a bout of mild toothache and at least you know the pain will ease if in deed there is any, good luck and go for it, i have put this off for yrsd and wish i had done it yrs ago, but i am totally freaked out with anything to do with a dentist or my mouth, you must let us knwo how it goes xxx

Oh my,
I just spoke to the ward sister n my anaesthetic has been changed to GA rather than the sedation.
Now im completley terrified and wondering about the risks of GA does anyone know why they would change the anaesthesia?

Vicky xxxx

Vicky, I don't know the answer to your question but didn't want to read and run. Also wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow will be thinking of you and look forward to your update :XXLhug:

Julie xx

Good luck Vicky, I'm brand new here, and yours is the first thread I've looked at. I can really feel your anxiety (((( hug ))))

To be honest, I think I would prefer the GA over sedation personally. I would rather they knocked me out so that I know nothing of what is going on, but that's just my personal preference.

If it's any consolation, I had to visit the dentist a few years ago with a painful abcess. I was absolutely petrified, but I came away feeling pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, that fear of old has crept back in over time, and now I feel the need for encouragement again. But I do remember that it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I know it sounds crazy and doesn't make sense, but I'm still scared of the dentist which just goes to show that it's all totally psychological and can be overcome.

Good luck today, be brave, you have my sincere admiration for even having the guts to go. Let us know how it went :)

Hi hope your hospital appt went well today, let us know.

Im due at hospital at 1 but im 5th on the list so itll prob be more like 3.
Feeling quite calm today except im starving!
Will let you all know how i get on.

Thanks

Hope it goes ok x

I hope it went ok :)
i had oral surgery and they cut all my front gum open about a month ago :( but it wasnt as bad as i thought!! i think dentist at hospital is alot less nerve racking! :/ haha.

Hope it went well.............thinking of u:XXLhug:

Hope all went well for you today.:XXLhug:

Hi,
Its done! they took 10 in the end.
I had a GA but and woke up in agony but they gave me morphine.
Apparantly they had to take some lower bone to get the wisdom tooth out.
Im swollen n sore but not as bad as i thought.
Thanks
Vicky

Back