• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

panic attacks

L

leggy

Hi All, just wanted to share something with you. It is not dental,but the support forum on here helped me get through it.
I have been having Chiropractic treatment since Dec last year, i have to go on the bus, it has gone from twice weekly to once weekly, now every two weeks.
I have mentioned in previous posts that I have suffered with panic, anxiety,depression & agoraphobia for about 10 yrs now, but have been a lot better since retiring from work. But, when i was working, the panic attacks mostly took place when on public transport.
I live in a very small town, it is in a lovely rural area, but has all the amenities i need, close by, therefore i very rarely go out of my comfort zone.
I am now having to do this travelling to a nearby, larger town, only 20 mins on the bus.When i first went i got panicky again & had to take sedatives just to get there, but as it was twice weekly i began to take it in my stride.
Today i got up with a slightly nervous feeling, didn't really know why, i was seeing a different chiropractor because the guy i usually see is away , but i have seen this lady at the practice calling in her patients, she is quite young & seems very nice. Anyhoo, when i got on the bus, PANIC swept over me, i thought i would have to get straightback off again, but i really felt the need for some treatment. I cannot understand where this stupid, irrational fear comes from, it is so ridiculous, it's not as though i thought she would hurt me, it's only been 2 weeks since i last caught the bus, i know exactly where i am going, have my mobile with me etc, so why all this crap all over again, i get soo mad with myself.
I managed to calm myself down, breathing deeply & thinking about all the stories i have read on here, where people have still managed to get themselves to a dentist, while in the midst of great fear & panic, feeling sick & tearful, not knowing what to expect when they get there, yet, they have done it!! I truly admire their courage. Thinking about this got me through.
As it turned out, she was absolutely lovely & all through my treatment we talked fashion, because she remarked that she liked my top & we went from there to all our favorite places to shop, trouble is i have got her looking at a site called Wall of London, great clothes but NOT cheap. Hope she doesnt charge me more next time, to pay her clothes bill lol!
I ended up actually browsing around in M&S instead of rushing home on the next bus.
So a big thank you to all who have shared their stories of overcoming fear, it helps with other situations, not just the dentist.:thumbsup:

:XXLhug: WELL DONE YOU for over coming the panic today, you must be so proud of yourself :)

Julie

Thanx Julie, it wasn't a major attack thank God, but it just helped so much ,:)thinking of the stories on here

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. The beautiful thing about this website is the way it brings people together to encourage each other> Life is hard sometimes and it helps to have others to talk to.
:)

Back