• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth and ear infection related?

C

Chris36

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, I haven't read any of the other threads yet, but before I do, I just wanted to introduce myself and share my story, which is probably very similar to many others here.

I'm 44 years old and terrified of the dentist. My ordeal began when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and I had to go to the dentist to have 3 teeth removed. I don't know if the fear was already there then, but I had a terrible time. I remember being put to sleep with the gas mask, and the dentist and my Mum had to hold me down in the chair and force me to inhale the gas while I struggled to remove the mask. When I woke up, there was blood everywhere and I was left traumatised by the whole experience. I didn't return to the dentist for about another 30 years after that.

A few years ago, I had to go to the dentist when a painful abcess developed around a broken tooth, and my face began to swell. The dentist wasn't particularly sensitive to my fear, but on the whole, I came away feeling that it wasn't so bad, and nothing that I couldn't deal with again in the future.

Since then, the fear has returned, and now I have a tooth that cracked in half about 5 years ago. Every now and then, it becomes infected and very painful, but still I won't go and have it seen to. Now I have an ear infection which has lasted for about 3 weeks so far. I can hear my blood pumping in my right ear, the same side my broken tooth is on, and I'm worried that the tooth has become infected and spread to my ear, or maybe it's just a normal infection and unrelated, can anybody advise me on this?

It seems that however serious the consequences of leaving it all this time are becoming, I simply will not go to the dentist. It's not the pain that stops me, I have quite a high pain threshold. It's the whole experience, the sights, the sounds, the smells, it all just terrifies me and other than having somebody literally drag me there kicking and screaming, I really don't think I can go through with it, however much the infection spreads and becomes a serious concern.

So here I am, in the hope that reading through some of your experiences might just encourage me, or even scare me into going and getting this tooth sorted out once and for all, I have to do something and I'm getting pretty desperate, but still I keep holding myself back :(

Thanks for reading, and any words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris :)

Hi Chris. :welcome:

I can't help you with the whole ear infection thing (Though i have had one for a while myself!:confused:) but i hope i can help with the words of encouragement! I'm also scared of the dentist but i know i need to go so the first step i'm taking is to go to my doctors and explain the fear to them to see if they can offer me something, whether it be therapy or meds, i WILL try it because i KNOW i need to!

Maybe this could be an option for you? Take care and try to think positive xx

Thanks for the welcome and your words of encouragement :)

I'd never considered that option of going to the doctor first. It's a good idea and I might see if I can do that, thanks :)

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Chris, :welcome:

Not sure about the relationship between abscesses and ear infections - however if it's a back tooth on the upper jaw you're having the problem with then that's fairly adjacent to the middle ear so I guess there could well be a risk.

However as well as being a dental phobic for many years (now recovered, thankfully) I have had continual ear problems from the age of about 4 onwards so I do know a LOT about ear infections - far more than I ever wanted to know ! :whistle: It's quite common to be able to hear your own pulse when you have an ear infection - it doesn't make it any less irritating, but it is quite normal. An ear infection that's gone on for three weeks needs treating, if you're not already having it treated. The vast majority clear up quickly with the aid of antibiotics - on the other hand if you leave it to its own devices then the ear is an excellent place for a chronic infection to set in :scared: which can then require rather more invasive measures to sort it out. So, if you haven't already seen your doctor about your ear problem, make sure that you do. It's all too easy to ignore an ear infection for months or even years if it's not causing pain - I know, I've been there !

John

Thanks for the advice John, I'd better get myself to the doctors hadn't I? The broken tooth by the way is on my lower jaw at the back, next to my wisdom tooth. I'm planning to see the doctor about my phobia anyway.

Hi Chris :welcome: I really think you should see the doctor for the ear infection, you may need antibiotics. Phobia with dentist we all understand. Mine started aged 17 thanks to a dentist who was supposed to take 4 teeth out 2 at a time, but when I woke not only had he taken all 4 but another 4 into the bargain :scared: I'm 53 now and due to meds I take my teeth were all breaking off, long story short, I found a fantastic dentist, never thought I would say that! and 4 weeks ago had 23 teeth out in one go:o IV Sedation is wonderful, I didn't hear, feel or know anything. Took a lot of tears, sleepless nights and bad tummys for me to get there, but I'm so glad I did. Hopefully you will be able to take those same steps and find a good, caring dentist, that will help you. We are all here for you

Julie xx

Thanks for your words of encouragement Julie, and congratulations on getting your teeth sorted out. I know that when I finally do go to the dentist, it'll be a huge weight off my mind, I know that, yet I still can't take that first step :(

Back