• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

To sedate, or not to sedate, that is the question . . .

T

Trombone76

Hi Folks,

As of today I am now three weeks away from a full upper extraction and removal of about 6 lower teeth.

I was in the dentist office earlier this week to do the final impressions for my temporary top denture. I stopped to talk to the nurse on my way out to get an idea of what I need to have prepared before the procedure. As she read through quickly what I was having done she made the comment "I see you are not being sedated". It wasn't a big deal at the moment but I started thinking about it on the way home. I'm going to be awake for this???

Cost is a big factor for me on this, and when they prepared my treatment it was fabulous how much work my dentists staff did to help me get an affordable plan. I honestly never asked about whether or not I was going to be "out". I realzie that they are going to do some wonderful things to take care of the pain during the procedure and that I will leave with happy pain meds as well. Can someone tell me if this many extractions are tolerable awake or if I am just downright crazy for considering it and need to call and set up a tranquilizer dart? :p

Thanks!

I think it depends on what you can afford, and if you think you'll be comfortable enough being awake for the extractions. I don't know where you are located, and what the cost would be.

I had my extractions and immediate done 4 weeks ago yesterday.

I paid $415.00 for sedation - but I didn't have a choice, it was the only way the oral surgeon would take out 11 teeth at once (All 9 upper teeth and 2 on bottom) I was fitted with the immediate upper denture before I was woke up and outta the chair.

I was terrified of the sedation (read my journal to find out why), but it was wonderful. I didn't hear, feel, or know a single thing that went on. They called it light sedation - if they tried to wake me up, they said that I would - but I guess they didn't need me for anything because they didn't wake me up til it was over! I was brought in and set up on monitors, went to "sleep", and was in the recovery room all in about 45 minutes!!

So - I think it depends on YOU. I think it's all about your comfort level and what you can afford. I'd ask your dentist, or oral surgeons office what the sedation will run, cost wise, and then you'll be able to make your decision.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Hi Folks,

As of today I am now three weeks away from a full upper extraction and removal of about 6 lower teeth.

I was in the dentist office earlier this week to do the final impressions for my temporary top denture. I stopped to talk to the nurse on my way out to get an idea of what I need to have prepared before the procedure. As she read through quickly what I was having done she made the comment "I see you are not being sedated". It wasn't a big deal at the moment but I started thinking about it on the way home. I'm going to be awake for this???

Cost is a big factor for me on this, and when they prepared my treatment it was fabulous how much work my dentists staff did to help me get an affordable plan. I honestly never asked about whether or not I was going to be "out". I realzie that they are going to do some wonderful things to take care of the pain during the procedure and that I will leave with happy pain meds as well. Can someone tell me if this many extractions are tolerable awake or if I am just downright crazy for considering it and need to call and set up a tranquilizer dart? :p

Thanks!

Well, when I had my remaining uppers out, I had them out like this...

One pre-molar one week (it was the main source of infection in my upper gum), a couple of weeks later my four front incisors and then the remaining four back teeth. Then my lovely immediate denture put straight in. ;D;D;D

I'm sure I could've dealt with having them all out at once. It wouldn't have been pleasant. Painless, but not pleasant! I would've had to (ahem) "grit my teeth" :o to get through it!

Hi Trombone

I had all 23 of my teeth out just over 4 weeks ago, 12 upper and 11 lower all in one go. I couldn't have done it in 3 or 4 stages and I had IV Sedation which was fantastic, I didn't feel, hear and know anything, felt like I had slept. Pain wise, uppers were no problem slight discomfort that I probably wouldn't have needed painkillers for, unfortunately I had infection in lower jaw, which did need painkillers. Everyone is different but for me I couldn't have done it without the sedation

Julie

Back