• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A hole lot of painful waiting?

C

CAG

Hi

I had a rather large filling on a front tooth a couple of years ago, a couple of weeks ago it fell out. I went to get it sorted - the dentist refilled it (so now even bigger filling!).

The day after it was fixed it felt weird, like it was loose, I put this down to just the 'new' feeling of it (I'm no stranger to fillings lol). Well, this week (just one week since it was fixed) I can see it move a little.

I've booked an appointment for next week, but I'm worried the filling won't last even until then - maybe not the time it takes to write this message!

And then the dentist has said if the filling doesn't last (the one that is swinging in my mouth right now) he may have to crown it.

I'll have a 3 week wait for that procedure! Will the dentist refill it for that waiting period?

I'm struggling to eat right now, the thought of waiting 3 weeks with the look, feel and inability to eat properly is really get me worked up.

Will the dentist leave me with just a sliver of tooth for 3 weeks if I need a crown! Surely it would also go bad in that time!

In the past I lost a filling and had to have a crown fitted. During the time between loosing the filling and having the crown fitted I had a temporary filling done. As I understand it this is done with a 'cheaper' and less durable material used to fill the hole, but it will last and protect the tooth in the short time you have to wait.

Hi there,

I lot a big filling from a back tooth once when I was flossing one night- typical of my luck with anything dental related! Anyway, I wasn't able to get it replaced for a while (due to lack of cash) but the dentist said that there is no problem, as long as you make sure you keep the area clean, brush after eating anything and rinse your mouth out with mouthwash, etc. ;)

Back