• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

just had 5 teeth out...

R

Rach

:sick:I posted aages ago about my impacted canine tooth - yesterday morning I had my day surgery op, 4 teeth out and the impacted canine from the roof of my mouth.

I can barely talk, Im starving because i cant eat (i have a tooth out in every side of my mouth, left right, top bottom) and its really uncomfortable :(

Im also a smoker, I've been terrified of dry socket so I havent smoked since the operation (9am yesterday morning - 18th march) and I wanted to know honestly, when it is.. 'safe' to do so, without the increased risk of dry socket.

also, how long will it take for my gums to heal enough to be able to eat something, and how long till my stitches disolve? ):
my stitches are just behind my front teeth, so basically on the roof of my mouth (they're inbetween my front teeth aswell :S im not sure if thats just loose ends though) and they're also in one of the gaps where i had the baby tooth out (as the adult tooth was impacted)

Im in no pain whatsoever and i find that a bit weird, my jaw is a bit tender to touch and i do get a slight ache every now and again in my mouth, but really nothing to complain about (im on paracetamol, codeine and ibprufen).

as i said, im scared to death of getting dry socket, i've heard its uncommon and i have followed all the instructions, i did nothing yesterday then had a salt rinse today - i just put the water in my mouth, tilted my head from side to side then let it just run out of my mouth - and havent eaten anything solid, smoked or used straws. is it likely i could get dry socket by accident? im a bit confused on where to put my tongue because it feels way too big for my mouth so its just sitting in the gaps, and i feel like im sucking it a bit... I keep feeling little things fall on my tongue and I dont know what they are either :S

I've been on google for hours and i'd really appreciated it if my questions could get answered first hand just to put my mind at ease.

thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Have a smoke! It'll settle your nerves for one thing. Eat something soft - baked beans, macaroni cheese, noodles etc. You sound like you're doing well!

I smoked more or less straight after my extractions - well, once I got home from the dentist at least. :) No problems at all.

I'm just saying what I'd do in such a situation. Being honest, that's all...

i tried having a cigarette and it really didnt feel right! i dunno if its the stitches but i was too scared to suck on it properly haha. ill give it another few days i think :)

I have to agree with SXB. I had 23 teeth out, came out of the surgery and had a ciggie :redface:. Had to get hubby to light it though lol. Try soup, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes basically anything soft that you don't really have to chew.
Not sure, perhaps someone else will know, but would have thought with stitches you would be less likely to get dry socket

Julie

Had my hub feed me smokes "shot gun" style after 5 teeth out, poor guy doesn't even smoke (cough, cough) :meanie:

Haha bless! Unfortunately I have no one to ask to do that for me!

So far I've managed Chicken Noodle soup... without the noodles :redface: and thick chocolate milkshake.
I have some creamy mash and yoghurt also on my menu but im scared of stuff getting stuck in my stitches :sick:

gotta eat to heal, just do the salt water rinse after

I waited 2 days to have a smoke, I just cut 3/4 of the filter off, and then I used a pin and poked holes in the remaining filter.. so you dont have to "pull" so hard on it to get a decent drag. It might help to switch to a stronger brand too, I smoked lights before.. and switched to regulars when I had my extraction.

Just make sure you sat water rinse your mouth afterwards... the tar gets all in your mouth and can slow healing.

I would never have thought of doing that! I might have a go at that later :) I've been smoking but its probably not worth it because I get about the same amount of one decent drag through the whole cigarette. Thanks :jump:

Back