• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

newbie here

E

Emmerelle

Hi.

I have finally plucked up the courage to post on here. I have been reading for a while and couldn't even bring myself to write.

I am 28 and to be honest I have horrible teeth. I have been very terrified of dentists since I was about 12 where a dentist removed 2 teeth without properly numbing and basically kept pushing me back in the chair telling me I was being silly when I cried.

I have not been since ! I have a family history of bad teeth and since I had my first child five years ago they seem to have deteriated quickly ! I have now got no botom back teeth other than roots and bits and my top ones need serious work. My front teeth are discoloured and I suffer from absesses.

I try to go to the dentist but can only manage to let them look in my mouth when I need antibiotics for absess treatment. They obviously can not carry out work. I make the appointments and I dont turn up. I lie and avoid cry stamp my feet and ignore the problem.

I know I need them fixed I know the dentist will have seen worse I know I will feel so much better with a healthy mouth and gums but I still just cant do it. No one else understands they think I can just force myself to face the fear.

It all came home this morning when my little girl had a dental appointment. she is five and unfortunatly her adult teeth are coming through quicker than they should causing overcrowding of her baby teeth. Some have wobbled and come out early to be replaced by nice big teeth but she needed a filling where one of the sides has worn away because of the movement in her teeth.

Could I go ? nope not at all... had to get my husband to take her. She was a star had her filling no probs and thinks its funny that her tooth has fallen asleep :)

My five year old can do something I can not !! how degrading.

I want someone to just knock me out take me to a hospital and do the work but going into a dentist causes so much anxiety I almost pass out surely this is not normal. I dont want to sit in that stupid chair and lose complete controll whilst they poke around. I dont want to see them doing it and I certainly do not want to listen to thier comments,

I am embarrased and worked up even writing this. I know It needs sorting and I am hopeful that by reading your success stories I will somewhere build the confidence to face this.

anyway thats me in a nutshell.

thankyou for listening. x

and my little girl will need a brace and extensive checkups extra appointments and maybe even an extraction or two to make room for these big teeth that are now coming through crooked.

I am sad I am letting my fear stop me from supporting her and being there. Her daddy is fantastic with these sort of things so I know it is easier if he goes because she will not pick up my anxieties.

She knows I am scared but has told me there really is nothing to worry about because I will get a sticker if I am good

bless her

:welcome:

I could have written that myself, it is exactly how I feel and react to anything dental, my teeth became a lot worse after 3 pregnancies. I have finally give in at the age of 30 and have myself booked in for IV sedation at a NHS dental hospital for removal of 5 bottom teeth and 15 upper teeth (well what is left of them :redface:).

They have been fantastic, I even let them clean my teeth which is something I have been unable to do prevously. Everything has been explained and done without being rushed.

Reading on here really does help, so many people have got through this and I am sure we can too!

yea same here iam so proud of yu, yu just took the the first biggest step of all and welcome im sure ur still real scared and so am i.

i have been tryin to book my self in and unfortnatly no such luck yet so yea congrats:respect: i look forward to hearing from yu again and im sure we can support eachother.

so just pm me yu need to talk.
x

Mike

Hi and welcome, you don't have to feel alone anymore in your feelings, we all understand how you feel about your teeth and the dentist, we have all put it off instead of getting treatment.

At the moment you go to the dentist only when you are in pain, get given antibiotics for an abscess, which stops the pain, so you don't feel the need go back. What you need to do is realise that you need to go back once you are out of pain, so that you can get the cause treated, then there will be no pain in the future. This is the hard bit, going when you don't feel pressured to do so.

When you are in pain from an abscess you are panicing and not really taking in what the dentist is telling you, if you go when you are not in pain it is a lot easier to take in what is happening, you will be able to reason through your decisions and work with your dentist to get a plan of treatment. You need to be calmer to do the sensible thing and be treated. Teeth don't repair themselves and you will continue to have problems until you get them fixed properly. Only you can decide to do that, people can advise you to do get treatment, but ultimatly it is your decision to do it for your health. The benefit to your loved ones around you though is huge, they will be both happy and releived that you care about yourself too.

You are already working towards getting your teeth fixed, I can tell you finally want to do this otherwise you wouldn't have posted on here. You took the time to work up the courage to get the journey started, we will support you.

You can do it, you can have a healty mouth. Take it one small step at a time and you can get there.
:grouphug: