• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sedation during wisdom tooth extraction

L

laa862003

Hi,
I wonder could anyone advise me-I've to have a bottom wisdom tooth out, my own dentist has offered to remove it and just give me a valium to take an hour before. the other option i have is to go to an oral surgeon and have an IV sedation, i'm not really sure what this entails but i am really very nervous. i had an upper wisdom tooth removed under local anesthetic and found the whole thing really upsetting! what do you think would make me the most unaware of what is going on as at the moment i really don't know how i'll get through it!
any advice would be greatly appreciated!

With just Valium you'll be aware but you may just not care, with IV sedation by an oral surgeon, you won't know a thing. Iv in you go out, wake up, all done. My personal preference for an extraction- is put me to sleep.

Valium would not be nearly enough for me to have for a tooth extraction,especially a wisdom tooth (mine were all impacted). It (valium) barely takes the edge off. I have IV sedation fo the last one and it's the only way to go. Nitrous would be better than valium.

Valium and other similar medication has mixed, often erratic results. It can be very good for some people, some of the time. It can make you relatively 'co-operative' and less anxious, but it's not guaranteed.

IV sedation is given within a controlled environment and you will be monitored. If you look like you are coming out of the sedation, they will give you more, up to a maximum of 10mg (I think).

One minute you will be counting up/down from 10 and the next minute it will all be over, although an hour may have passed. You are sort of awake but 'away with the fairies'. You still normally have to have injections in the mouth, but you don't feel those at all.

I would definitely go for the IV sedation for an extraction.

IV Sedation all the way! Vallium will make you not care as other people have suggested but IV sedation will make you totally oblivious to what is going on. My oral surgeon had to show me my tooth before I believed it was out and it was a difficult extraction. I posted my story on the success story and it tells you exactly what I went through.
IV sedation is amazing, completely worth the wait!
:cloud9:

As all the others have said IV sedation all the way. I had 23 teeth out in one go with IV sedation and never knew a thing

Julie

Hi,
I wonder could anyone advise me-I've to have a bottom wisdom tooth out, my own dentist has offered to remove it and just give me a valium to take an hour before. the other option i have is to go to an oral surgeon and have an IV sedation, i'm not really sure what this entails but i am really very nervous. i had an upper wisdom tooth removed under local anesthetic and found the whole thing really upsetting! what do you think would make me the most unaware of what is going on as at the moment i really don't know how i'll get through it!
any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am a whimp, and swear I am overly sensitive to dental work, so when maybe ten years ago I had a molar pulled I was so scared to have it down with just novacaine. But it went well, for me, I was totally numb-- just don't let the dentist proceed until you are completely numb, even if they have to do several injections. I felt NO pain during the extraction, only the weird pressure of the dentists pulling like mad with his pliers or whatever, but it was not pain, just aware of him twisting and pulling.

Back