• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom teeth - pressure in ears - PLEASE HELP

R

rileyoki

I got my 4 wisdom teeth taken out two days ago and last night something happened to me.
After dinner (I ate mush... turnip, mashed potatoes and mushed salmon)
my ears started feeling weird. Everything became loud and sensitive and then about 15 minutes later both my ears (but more so my right one) started becoming weird feeling and well, the best way i can describe it is this.
You know when you wake up in the morning and you take a HUGE stretch, or when you yawn, your ears kinda block out all sound for a good 5 seconds and it makes you feel like your heads in a microwave?
Well that started happening every time i'd swallow, talk on the phone, lay down on my left side... just anything remotely normal would cause my ears and head to go ballistic.
PLEASE HELP because it's the next morning and it still hasn't gone away.
Could this be a reaction to the medication i'm using?
Tylenol3 (for pain), Penicillin (for infection) and Dexamethasone (for swelling).
Thanks!!!

Souds to me like the eustachian tubes that go from you ears to your throat are blocked. Possibly from some swelling from the extractions. I know you said that you have no swelling visible on the outside, but perhaps there is some on the inside you cant see that is pressing on the tubes closing them temporarly.

The eustachian tube keeps the air pressure in your ears equal to that of the outside world, so that the ear drum cam move and you hear things. If the air one side of the eardrum is higher than the other, then the eardrum is held tight meaning you cannot hear things. The air pressure is equallised when you swallow, if the eustachian tube is blocked or clossed then you cannot eqalise the pressure.

I'm not sure what you can do about it, but it sounds like it should come back on its own.

I just googled that and many people have said that it doesn't go away for a very long time, possibly even years.
The ears aren't necessarily popping, it just almost feels like fluid is rushing in my head every time i swallow or stretch or anything.
Another thing is that as soon as this started happening, my skin started to become really itchy. Everywhere - ears, neck, head, arms, hands, feet, legs,.. you name it. No rash though. I still think this may be an allergic reaction of some sort, i don't know.

Like robotguy says, it's probably down to swelling. I had a lower molar taken out yesterday and my throat is still swollen and it's a little sore swallowing (not as bad as before it came out!) but it'll be a few days before the swelling subsides. I imagine it'll be the same with your ears etc...

Let us know what happens! :)

Well, I have absolutely no swelling on the outside (thank god.)
Do you think that taking an aspirin or something for swelling could help?

Well, I have absolutely no swelling on the outside (thank god.)
Do you think that taking an aspirin or something for swelling could help?

NOT Aspirin, Ibuprofen. That's the advice I had yesterday anyway. Aspirin thins the blood I believe, increasing the risk of, er, bleeding.

I'm on paracetamol and Ibuprofen. They seem to be doing the job. ;D

What RobotGuy said sounds like a reasonable possibility to me, i.e. your eustachian tubes may have temporarily closed up. The simple act of chewing some gum might well help that, it's worked for me sometimes.

As for the itching, keep an eye on that, and if it continues - or you get a rash - then see your doctor or dentist about it. It happened to me once after I'd been on a high dose of penicillin for several days; my doctor took me off the penicillin and substituted a different antibiotic, and the rash soon went away. Hope you're feeling better soon !

John

so i just got home from emerge.
turns out, my eustachian tubes WERE swollen.
he said the tylenol3's weren't doing the job (which they weren't)
so he prescribed me something called APO-KETOROLAC. I just took one with food, and I'll let everyone know how i am within the next hour or so.
Thanks for all the feedback!!

the itching was apparently caused by the codeine in the T3s.
But my ears are still the same unfortunately and the antibiotics have done nothing yet. :cry:

the itching was apparently caused by the codeine in the T3s.
But my ears are still the same unfortunately and the antibiotics have done nothing yet. :cry:

You should take the full course I think. Wait until then. :)

Yep, codeine is famous for causing itching! :o

Back