Thread: Weird question about Crest Pro Health rinse

Default Weird question about Crest Pro Health rinse

After going to different forums and reading so many dentists saying this was their #1 Choice for (alcohol-free rinse) I went out today and bought one. Since I hated the alcohol rinses, I rarely rinsed with moutwashes becaus I could not handle the burning.

I brushed my teeth,rinsed with water. Then I took about less than an ounce of the Crest Pro-Health rinse and swooshed it around in my mouth for about 25-30 seconds. Well when I spit it out it came out in blue chunks? Some was the rinse that I spit out but the rest looked like pieces of blue "cottage cheese" ? It was NOT food. I had to rinse my mouth out with water afterward because I had some of these blue chunks stuck on my teeth. ..yuck
      I floss daily and brush 2-3 times a day.

I checked the expiration date and that was not the problem.

Anyone have this happen to them? What could that be?

Default Re: Weird question about Crest Pro Health rinse

same here. The blue chunks. At least it doesn't burn. I even tried to shake the
      bottle several times.

Elaine.

I read quite a few dentistry forums on a regular basis and I've never noticed that dentists recommend Crest-Pro? Apparently, the active ingredient in the Crest Pro-Health Rinse formula is 0.07% Cetylpyridinium Chloride - will have to do a PubMed search on it...
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

I've noticed the same thing, since my dentist recommended Crest pro-health when I don't need the Chlorhexadine. I had asked my Dentist what it was supposed to be for, and the only answer I got was that it was good because it didn't have alchohol. I didn't bother to bring up that my ACT doesn't have alchohol either and since I know what the flouride's for I'd like to know why this pro-health is supposed to be better for me. By the way, since several Dentists seem to be recommending this all of a sudden, I wonder what kind of kick-back they are getting.

Actually, the first few time I used it I got blue chunks every time. After that, I normally don't get them, but once in a while I still do. I'm assuming it's reacting to something, but I did an internet search to see what it might be reacting to, but never found anything.

i have been using the wintergreen one and i have not had this problem, so far. Glad I didn't get the mint one. I like the wintergreen because it's not as strong.

I use this rinse quite often, because I prefer the taste (and I had a TON of coupons for it, which is always an incentive because my grocery doubles those coupons, yaaaay!)

I've *never* noticed chunks or clumps. But what I do notice are strange little dark blue flakes -- perhaps a lesser phenomenon of what you're talking about? Maybe this stuff chemically bonds with a certain enzyme in saliva, or something, and makes the strange substance. I thought it was plaque coming off the teeth, but perhaps it's actually a byproduct of some chemical reaction...?

If this is the case, it would make sense, since the chemical and bacterial contents of saliva and plaque is a little different from person to person. But I'm not an expert, soo...I don't know!

Perhaps it's a question you could pose to the company itself? Companies like Crest keep a toll-free hotline for questions: 1-800-285-9139

If you're not in the U.S. or Canada, try asking them through their feedback website: http://crest.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cr...nduser/ask.php

According to Crest's own website, "The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health, CPC, as well as the blue color can bind to bacteria and specks in your mouth, making them more visible when you spit into the sink. This is a sign that the product is working and is not harmful. Some consumers find that running the sink before expectorating the rinse helps prevent the blue debris from sticking."

I had a look at PubMed abstracts and have a feeling that, while CPC may produce "statistically significant" results when it comes to things like plaque scores, the results are not actually all that significant (for example, one study showed I think a 15% reduction in plaque, which was *statistically* significant, but realistically speaking, a 15% reduction may not mean very much). Another study found that CPC in spray form did not significantly differ from saltwater spray, but chlorhexidine gluconate spray did. So for those on a budget, maybe it would be cheaper to rinse with salt water (if you don't mind the taste, that is...).
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices