• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gray teeth almost overnight?

A

alis

Long story short, my brother just got out of the hospital from intestinal surgery about 3 weeks ago. Currently on antibiotics (Augmentin). He is having problems and infection is being suspected (he's probably going to be readmitted this week).

Two days ago, his teeth turned gray. Almost a clear, translucent gray. He is not eating or drinking anything that would turn his teeth gray. Does anyone have any idea why teeth would turn almost translucent gray?

Iron tablets?

Sorry he's so sick, is he doing a lot of vomiting that may have eroded the enamel?

Different lighting conditions? This morning I bought an off orange duffle bag from a sporting goods store. Soon as I walked outside the store into the sunlight it looked red! I turned around and walked back in and returned it.

He is not vomiting, on any meds, herbs, or vitamins besides the Augmentin. He does not smoke, chew tobacco, drink alcohol, drink coffee, cola, tea or energy drinks. Nothing ingested that would change his teeth color. He is basically eating BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) right now since that's ALL he can tolerate. It's not the lighting, his teeth are all almost a translucent gray, and it's something that literally changed overnight.

Guess this is unheard of even in dentistry. Hopefully doctors will be able to explain what is going on in totality after he is admitted. I will update if I ever find out what caused the gray teeth. Perhaps it has something to do with infection.

Last edited:
augmentin can cause temporary staining of teeth :

"Miscellaneous: Tooth discoloration (brown, yellow, or gray staining) has been rarely reported. Most reports occurred in pediatric patients. Discoloration was reduced or eliminated with brushing or dental cleaning in most cases."

Ok, that makes some sense! He is also young, so the pediatric thing fits in as well. Thank you annie778!

Back