• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth surgery.. can't have water at all before surgery??

ennui84

ennui84

I'm getting all four wisdom teeth taken out on Wednesday at 3:40pm. I'll be going to work that day, the oral surgeon told me I couldn't eat or drink anything 8 hours before the surgery. The nurse said that since I'm waking up early for work, I could have something light for breakfast like toast and a bit of juice.

My question is, since I'll be at work till about 12 - 1pm, is chewing gum or sipping on some apple juice okay? I will get shaky if I go the whole morning without eating anything.

What about water, am I not supposed to drink any at all during the day? On the paper he gave me it says I can have 1/2 a cup for the Valium 40 minutes before the surgery. But what if I get thirsty during the morning?

:confused:

Last edited:
Are you being put to sleep for the procedure, IV sedation- then yes it common not to eat or drink anything for 8 hours before, what's uncommon is an appointment so late in the afternoon- that I would reschedule....
rp

Yes, I'm being put to sleep for the procedure. I thought it was a bit weird that they would schedule me for so late, I don't mind it though. The soonest schedule opening they had was this Monday at noon, but I couldn't so I took the next one (Wed. @ 3:40), mainly so I could take Thursday and Friday off work and have the weekend to recover.

I'm definitely going to have something to eat and drink before the 8 hours. But what about gum or some sort of mint in case I start feeling shaky at work from lack of food?

Have a complex carbohydrate breakfast like whole grain toast or cereal, it breaks down more evenly and slowly throughout the day providing you with a supply of calories. Yes you will be thirsty, but you can brush your teeth to keep your mouth moist and fresh tasting. If you're really worried you may be able to buy some glycerine swabs at a local drug store to moisten as well or rinse with some Biotene mouthwash-it moisturizes rather than drying the mouth out like alcohol based rinses, check with the surgeon's office. The gum or hard candy is still likely to get your digestive juices flowing in your stomach and we swallow air when chewing gum too. The risk is then vomiting while you are asleep and choking or aspirating and getting some in your lungs.

rp

Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely follow your advice.

Should I bring something to eat for after the surgery, a yogurt or smoothie so I can take the pain medication or will I be too out of it to care about being hungry? Will I even be able to have anything or will I have to wait a while?

The IV during the procedure will give you fluids and some calories, I wouldn't take anything with me. But I did stock up at home on protein drinks, jello, soup etc... good luck.

rp

Back