• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction gone wrong

F

Firewallrob

Hi,

I'm currently registered with the last NHS dentist in my area.

In January, I went to have a tooth out (the one next to my lower right wisdom tooth).

As extraction problems are pretty usual with me, I guessed it would not be straight forward :o

After 3 big cracks, the top of the tooth came out, leaving the full root and small exposed tooth part. I was told that I would need a surgical extraction in a hospital and expect a letter of acknowledgment in 10 days. (Basically she told me she was not willing to extract the rest on NHS).

So now it's 3 months later, and despite agony and continued chasing, I am getting nowhere.

WHAT CAN I DO PLEEEEEEASE.

If I turn up at B,ham dental hosp (I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon), they will probably not treat me as I obviously have a dentist (Though not much good to me).

Does anyone know what it would cost to have this procedure done at a private dentist (under sedation) - £200.......£500 ???

I remember my son having a similar never-ending and painful wait for an appointment to have his wisdom teeth removed. This involved several trips to the local NHS walk-in centre to get antibiotics for repeated infections. At one stage my wife nearly accused our dental practice of incompetence but sadly wasn't quite brave enough to follow through - I would have done. :devilish:

So, as far as I can see, once you have been referred on to a surgeon NO-ONE CARES about the problems you suffer while waiting. It seems to me that many NHS dentists don't take responsibility for the well-being of their patients in the same way that GPs do.

Having said that you should be chasing your dentist and your local NHS trust to make sure you HAVE been referred. Can't see what you can do beyond that though, unless you have friends who work for the local paper.

If any of our resident dentists care to persuade me that I shouldn't be so cynical, the floor is yours....:)

John

Putting aside what I think of anyone who leaves a patient in pain for months... most dental hospitals have a "walk in" or dental A&E type service. It might be worth trying that, what's the worst that'll happen?

Back