• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I don't know what to do

F

fixit

I think I have periodontal disease. :(

I am 18 years old and my bottom gums are receding from my teeth. They also do not look healthy... I am really not sure if I have "pockets" because I have pretty crooked teeth so it's hard to tell. I also have a bad overbite and a slight lisp... My teeth are not that yellow but the two front ones have white spots on them. When I wake up in the morning there's always this white stuff on my gum lines that I have to brush off. I also have bad breath and my bottom teeth seem to be elongated now.

I live with my parents who are on disability, but I am not covered on their dental... A few weeks ago I went to an emergency dental clinic because my wisdom teeth were in serious pain. A day later I went to a surgeon and had them pulled for free. The surgeon was very nice and he commented on my bones in my jaw and said they are very nice and I should get a dentist while I'm still young. I guess this was a hint that I had gum disease and should get it fixed asap.

I am so worried right now and it's making me really depressed. I know I should have a job at this age but I have been so busy with school and nobody seems to call me back for interviews. So I can't pay for this myself as I have no money. I have no other family other than my parents and they aren't concerned at all. All they say is "go to the dr and get some antibiotics." But I know I will need a deep cleaning + other possible procedures to get this under control. I don't know what to do right now...

I have no loose teeth and no black teeth. I've also noticed on my fangs that I have this hard white stuff on the corners near the gum line (tarter?). A few months ago there was this puss filled zit like thing on my gum and I popped it and it never came back. Does that have anything to do with this?

I'm really worried and I do not know where to start. Economy sucks... I can't even get a job to go to the dentist.

I probably have a load of cavities too as I have not had a cleaning/checkup at a dentist in about 5 years. My parents are to in debt to even lend me $60 to go to the university to have cleaning/ x-rays done. I've begged them to cancel my internet and everything but they won't. They think I'm worrying for nothing.

I'm so young, I don't want to loose my teeth! I brush twice a day and floss once. But my mom lost all of her teeth and now has full dentures at the age of 40, could this be genetics? What can I do?

-Sorry for making this so long :/
I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

I would suggest, if you can't see a dentist, to used organic tea tree oil. 2 drops in 8 oz. of lukewarm water, rinse mouth twice daily using this simple mouthwash. Or you can buy tea tree oil toothpaste and mouthwash.
Stay away from processed sugar or white bread.

I'm sorry you are having a bad time of it, I can't comment on gum or periodontal disease as I'm luckly enough not ot have them, but from your description of the hard stuff on your teeth this sounds like tartar. This can be removed by a dentist very easy but it won't harm your teeth while its on there, (mine had tartar on my teeth for 20+ years and once it was removed ther teeth were fine underneath), what you do need to be careful of is cleaning at the bottom of the tartar along the gumline, thats where I got decay.

Your second problem of money, I suggest you have a look around and see what you can sell on ebay to raise some cash. Old books, toys, ornaments, CDs, DVD, clothes and shoes can all sell, I found that selling my childrens revision books once their exams were over recovered almost all of the cost of them. You will be amazed what people will buy and before you know it you will have your examination fee in your pocket. This could be a whole new venture for you, perhaps you will get hooked on selling stuff on ebay and spend your free time hunting down bargins at garage sales that you can sell on for a proffit.

Using the services of the University to get the check-up done is a good way of saving money too. Try not to be too down, there is always a way of getting there.
:grouphug:

I borrowed some money from my friends mom and then left a message at the University this morning. They phoned back a few hours later and told me that they were done for the year and I would have to wait until September to go there. :( My gum's seem to be receding more and more by the day. I don't think I can really afford to wait until September if I want to keep my teeth. This really sucks...

A lot of people don't know this because it's not exactly advertised but in Ontario a number of dental procedures are covered by OHIP if you get them done in a hospital. So call your area hospitals and talk to someone in the dental department.

Example: I paid an oral surgeon $1,200 for my daughter to have 3 extractions when she got her braces. After the fact I found out that I could have taken her to the hospital and it would have been free. Nobody offered me this option - not the regular dentist, not the orthodontist, not even our family doctor.

Back