• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitive teeth after wisdom teeth extraction

ennui84

ennui84

I had my four wisdom teeth taken out eight days ago and the molars near the area are feeling sensitive. My question is, how long will the sensitivity last? Also, when I bite down, it feels "uneven" like one side touches or is longer than the other side. Is that part of the healing process? I felt it even more the day after I had the wisdom teeth removed when the numbing was starting to wear off. How long before my gums are healed? They feel like they are more loose around my molars.

Yes, that's quite normal, see the sticky up top.

The bite disturbance should settle down soon, if not then see your dentist about it.

Thanks for the info Gordon! My bite feels like it's getting back to normal, the sensitivity is slowly going away too. :)

I have another question, the bottom left hole where my wisdom tooth was is a lot bigger than the one on my right, that one looks closed except for a slit down the middle. On the left one, I can see to the bottom. What is that white looking stuff down there? I rinse with warm salt water (almost to an obsessive degree... I'm paranoid about "messing" something up) and it doesn't budge. Is it food that got stuck all the way down there? Should I be concerned?

It's called Granulation tissue. (Google time!)

It's a very Good Thing :)

Call me weird, but I find this whole healing process kinda neat. There was a tooth (well teeth) and now there's a hole and now there are weird little things working in the holes fixing it. Amazing what the body does :)

Oh, and I googled that, not wise to click on "google images" right after having breakfast... some of those pictures :sick:

Annnnnd you guessed it, another question :redface: Should I wait until my mouth is more healed before I schedule an appointment with my regular dentist? I have a cavity on a previously filled molar that I'm starting to see (black little dots on the filling).

No problem, get onto your dentist for an appointment. I agree, the body is a fascinating organism.

I had my wisdom teeth removed April 21st (17 days ago). Both molars on both bottom side are still a bit sensitive. The ones on my left side are a bit more than the right side. I had fillings done on one of them on the left side but I can see little black dots on it so I'm going to see my dentist later this week to have the cavity taken care of.

I find that side to be very sensitive to cold, I'm not sure if it's still sensitive from my wisdom teeth being removed or if it's because of the cavity. Is 17 days long enough for it to be healed or does it take longer? I'm hoping that it's still part of the healing process. I've waited way too long to see a dentist since those fillings were put in (it's so expensive here in the states without dental insurance!) and now the fillings are showing cavities. I'm so afraid that I'll need a root canal. :shame: Plus I can't tell whether it's molar 18 or 19 that's giving me the problem, #19 is the one with the filling.

Does your tooth/teeth have to be giving you pain in order to have a root canal done? Because mine are fine, no pain that has be taking pain killers or anything. I feel discomfort when I eat or drink something cold. I don't feel anything when the food/drink is hot or warm just with cold things.

Last edited:
Root canal treatment would be a bit OTT from what you're complaining about.

Just thought I'd check in... I just got home from my dentist appointment. He told me that the little spots on the filling are just stains, that it's nothing I should be worried about. AND I don't have any new cavities! :)
He said the wisdom teeth holes are healing up nicely.

Is it normal for one of my molars to feel really sensitive after the cleaning? It hurts when I bite down (obviously) and even when I lightly press down on it with my finger.

Last edited:
Yes. It should return to normal in a day or two, if not, give your dentist a call.

I had my bottom wisdom teeth extracted on Thursday. I think the healing process is going well. But I was just wondering, I have sore teeth on only one side of my mouth. Is that normal?

Back