Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain after crown and root canal

Default Pain after crown and root canal

This is a complicated question, Im hoping someone can help me.
      I had a crown placement due to a cracked amalgam filling. When the filling was removed, it was found that part of my tooth was cracked......a temporary crown was placed and no pain occurred. When the permanent crown was placed that is when the pain began...after continuous pain for a few months I had a root canal, and then a filling placed in the crown.......the pain continued in my jaw, radiating up into my ear with continual ear pain. I did contact the endodontist and he placed me on a medrol dose pak to see if that would help with nerve inflammation..........it did help for a few days, but then the pain in my jaw and my ear came back. The pain is severe at times uncontrolled with ibuprofen or acetaminophen......I went back to the endodontist where he did the root canal again and said everything looked fine. I then had another filling placed and talked to my regular dentist about the jaw/ear pain. And we just decided to wait and see. There is NO pain upon biting, then pain is on the outside of the tooth near the gum line. The pain continues to radiate into the jaw and ear and causing a constant earache. Now, my eye has began to twitch on a regular basis........is there anything that can be done to fix this......or is extraction of my tooth the only thing? There is a small bit of swelling that occurs but does go away in my jaw.............HELP!

Default Re: Pain after crown and root canal

Are you sure it's from the tooth and not TMJ?

Im pretty sure, because I never had the pain until I got the crown placed. The pain is in the jaw, not the joint.......with it radiating to the ear and down my neck.

Cracked tooth that's still causing pain equals the bin usually, I'm afraid, especially after endo and crown.

awwwwwwwwww, I was hoping I could save this tooth, Ive spent $2000.00 on this one tooth.......thanks for the info......I appreciate it.

Hi..
      I understand your pain.i would guess that it's either the cracked part that's bothering you, or you have a sprained tooth. Your temp could have been too high for your bite, so you were banging that tooth too hard and now the new crown could still be too high as well. If you have a sprained tooth, you really have to avoid it and let it heal, but it would hurt for a few days while healing.Even a root canal wouldn't help if your tooth is cracked.I would say get back to the dentist.
      Last edited by RP; 3rd September 2010 at 12:18. Reason: spam in signature

Ive been back to the dentist twice..........this last time he did adjust the bite, but still my jaw, and ear are killing me. The strangest part is no pain during biting, but the bottom ridge of my tooth (near the gum line, all the way around) is tender. After 2 root canals, you would think I couldnt feel anything, but this tooth does not feel like any of my other teeth, just like a constant ache and tender to the touch at the bottom. The dentist did xrays and the root canal looks fine and there didnt appear to be any infection at the time of the xray. Im going back to the endodontist tomorrow, but......I think the tooth is done..........or Im just crazy and imagining all of this referred pain. Thanks for the input....

Are you sure the crown fits, I had that issue with constant irritation and pain at the gumline. The dentisit tried to tell me I wasn't cleaning it well enough, a second opinion said the crown just didn't fit and had to be replaced. (Dentist #1 reluctantly replaced it for free). End of issue.

gold crown is offline taking a break from the forum

Wait a minute here... Are you saying when they took the original filling out, too much tooth cracked off so you ended up having to get a crown? After the permanent crown was placed your pain started? so then they did a root canal and the pain remains the same...

I had originally gone to the dentist to have a crown placed on the tooth because the amalgam filling was starting to have severe fracture lines. When the filling was removed to fit for the temporary crown everything was fine, EXCEPT the tooth was actually fractured also, but my dentist did not feel it was severe enough to need to pull the tooth. The temporary crown did not bother me at all, when I went in for the permanent crown, that is when all the pain began.......at first it was just intermittent. I talked to my dentist about the jaw/ear/tooth discomfort, we watched and waited. He thought I needed to consult an endodontist.......I did, he determined the tooth needed a root canal........did that....pain persisted, went back and had the root canal redone.......pain persisted.........went to my dentist complained the pain now was all the time........he adjusted the surface of the crown.....sent me back to endodontist......he has me wearing a bite guard, says Im clenching my teeth, and my tooth has not healed properly........Im tired and still in pain!