• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

"Crown-porcelain/ceramic substr" on a molar - bad?

M

mirla

I originally posted this in Dental Procedures & Materials, topic "Gold verses Porcalin(sp?) Crowns?" Letsconnect suggested I ask here, so I am...

The short story is that they started the first of several crowns yesterday. They had originally had planned for gold, but after discussing my options I ended up with porcelain because I didn't really want this tooth to be non-tooth colored because it's visible when I smile big. However it is a molar.

We had discussed three options. Gold, porcelain with a metal core, and porcelain. I don't really know how the middle option was dropped (I was kind of out of it at the time), but it was.

So now I have the prep work done, and 4 weeks until they put the new crown on (they're waiting extra-long because they're concerned that the root may not stay healthy). I'm starting to get very anxious that I made a very bad decision so I'm looking for my options.

Is "Crown-porcelain/ceramic substr" on a molar a bad idea? If so, should I call the dentist Monday morning and say I want to switch to fused? Or is it too late and I should just ask for fused the next time?

Thank you very much!

Re: "Crown-porcelain/ceramic substr" on a molar -

It's not a bad idea particularly.
The new all porcelain crowns are at least as strong as the old PFM (porcelain fused to metal) ones and are a bit more aesthetically pleasing. They also tend to wear the opposing teeth less since the PFM porcelain seems particularly abrasive.
Ultimately they aren't as strong as PFM so if you have a severe clenching/grinding habit then they wouldn't be suitable. Presumably you don't or it wouldn't have been considered as an option in the first place.

If the tooth has already been prepared for the crown, then it's too late to change things now, the three different crowns types have different ideal preps so they aren't easily interchangeable without a lot of messing about. I don't think that there's any advantage in changing it at this stage.

Thank you. That makes me feel a little better.

Unfortunately, I've been doing a bit too much research on the internet. I found a webpage which says:
When he asked me if the tooth in question had a crown, I said “yes.” He said, “Is it porcelain or gold?” “Porcelain.” “Ahhh!” he said, “That’s why I came to practice in California. Everyone wants those nice white porcelain crowns. In the Midwest where I grew up it’s always gold crowns. Why? Less long-term problems. Sixty-five percent of the porcelain crowns need a root canal within 7-10 years you know. That’s why I came to California—big bucks!”

I keep telling myself that it's not even a dental website, and that it never even says that it is a true story, but still my fears are creaping in.

Seriously, don't worry about it... I've heard these figures bandied about for ALL Crowns, but I've never seen any actualy proof of it.

Thanks. I'm breathing better now.

I was really very easy on my teeth even before I started believing they could fall out at any moment, so I'm guessing I'm pretty safe.

Don't know how I could get through this without this website.

:)

Ok, now I'm confused! LOL. I'm currently having a 6 crown bridge made with what I thought was gold. She said gold would be stronger for this bridge. They even gave me a huge break on cost so the gold was almost the same as metal fused to porcelain.

Now I'm totally worried I'll be leaving the office with bright shiney GOLD??? teeth? I'm hoping there is an alternative to those 3 you mentioned? Perhaps gold with porcelain like the metal ones?

I can't imagine her not allowing me nice white teeth? LOL

Good luck to you. I have all different types of crowns currently and even had a temporary crown in the front last 11 years! They have come a long way & (knock on wood) will last a long long time.

I don't really understand your question. The metal that the porcelain is fused to can be either gold alloy or base metal, the more gold in the alloy the better.

I can't think of any way that somebody would want an all gold 6 unit bridge, it would come into the aesthetic zones and wouldn't be very attractive.

Thanks Gordon,

I'm sure I misunderstood which kind of bridge I'm getting. I know 100% that she mentioned gold, but perhaps it's only for the one going over the extracted tooth. This office is all about looks because one thing I was MOST afraid of was walking around with a missing tooth or a horrible looking temp crown. I voiced my opinion/worries ahead of time & she assured me no one would ever be able to tell I was having any work done unless I told them myself. I guess this is why I prefer NOT to know what's going on in there (my mouth) ;D because I get worked up over nothing.

Thanks again.

Back