• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Failing to get a referral

D

Dentom

Hello everyone,

I am 35 years of age and have had a serious phobia of dentists all my life. I am in a bit of a different category of phobia though as I also have a dissorder which manifests extreme anxiety when brushing my teeth. How it effects me is the same way scraping nails down a chalkboard effects some people. Over time this has led me to only be able to use fluid mouthwashes as my form of oral hygiene. I have visited the dentist on occasion when problems have become serious, however I have never managed to get through an entire session without reaching a point of evacuating the chair and leaving the dentist in desperate measure to quash my fear and panic. I am now at a stage where my teeth are almost non existent, and I have to watch what I eat, my face is constantly swollen and my eyesight in my left eye is being effected by the abcesses in my mouth. I have tried to get referred to the hospital for general aneastetic however my GP wont refer me, and I cant go to a dentist. I would now consider my dental state as desperate, and I have no clue as to what else I can do to get the treatment I need. I have managed to extract 3 teeth myself, however this has led to infection and long term discompfort. Can anyone offer any advice?

Re: Cant get a referral

What country are you from? There must be someone to help you. Have you considered going to the emergency room? I am really really worried about you.

What country are you from? There must be someone to help you. Have you considered going to the emergency room? I am really really worried about you.

Just because one GP won't assist you, can't you go see another one and ask for anti-biotics. I think another GPs office might be a less stressful than an ER. Plus, if embarassment is the problem, why not go to a walk in clinic -- that way you can see the doctor once and then never have to see them again.

I'm pretty worried about you, too, to be honest.

I hope you're ok. Please post again.

Yes, Odett had a good idea. Go see a doctor and get some antibiotics. We all care about you.

Dentom said:
I my face is constantly swollen and my eyesight in my left eye is being effected by the abcesses in my mouth. I have tried to get referred to the hospital for general aneastetic however my GP wont refer me, and I cant go to a dentist.

Dentom said:
What you describe sounds serious - it may need urgent attention so I would suggest you go to A&E maybe which could get you a hospital referral (especially if the hospital has an oral surgery dept).
Failing that change your GP - and also find out what facilities there are in your area for phobic dental patients - they have no right blocking your access to the care you need. Phone your local PCT for advice assuming you are in the UK.

Take someone along to be assertive on your behalf. Good luck.

Last edited:

We are all worried about you. Please let us know how you are doing. I am glad you found this forum......it is awesome and can really help you with lots of support as you regain your health. Good luck!

Dentom said:
I am in a bit of a different category of phobia though as I also have a dissorder which manifests extreme anxiety when brushing my teeth.

I have the exact same problem. I really feel for you. It is ruining my life.

My Doctor also wouldn't refer me saying that it will be easier for the dentist to do it. I have an appointment today and I'm hoping that all they do is refer me. BUT a previous Doctor did refer me after having awful abcesses on my jaw bone. So it is worth asking another one. The only problem with that was that doctor only mentioned the jaw pain in the referal therefore they never done ALL treatment needed and two years later I'm in a worse position. Where as my currant doctor has suggested a dentist would be able to give a detailed referal with all the treatment I need and witness my fear first hand. My appointment is in 3 hours and I'm still struggling with myself not to phone and cancel. I have my mother coming to MAKE me go!! lol!

You really do need help though. And just because one GP turned you down DON'T let that stop you. They are not all of the same view point!!

Hope you are ok xx

If i were you i think i'd just turn up at the hospital and see what they said! it sounds like your in need of something urgent.. so surely they won't turn you away?

Re: I cant get a referral

Hi there
Your GP can and should refer you to a dental hospital.
Please PM me and let me know where you live- I may be able to help point you in the right direction, or I may even be able to make a referral myself for you.
Get in touch with me by PM or email me at [email protected] and I'll be delighted to be able to help you.
Regards
Dr Mike

Back