• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange Fear

A

abigail

I have a slightly strange fear, I wonder if anyone else has it. I am 29, I have not been to dentist in may 8-10 years. When I was a kid I went regularly, the only treatment I ever had was some sealants and braces which I needed two extractions for. I have never had a filling and I am scared of needing one. Not so much the actual physical process of having it done, although that makes me worried as I dont know what it involves. I think fillings are really unsightly and to me needing one would be failure. When I was a kid the trip to the dentist was a success if did not need fillings. I have dealt with this by avoiding going but I dont think in the long run this is useful. Has anyone else had a similar fear and how have they dealt with it?

I have decided to make an appointment and it is going to be this friday. I am so scared, please anyone help me.

Hello

Phobias come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You can develop a phobia about anything. They involve a fear of the unknown and the future.

The mechanical process of a filling is easy. The area is numbed with a local anesthetic. A handpiece is used to remove any decayed areas on the tooth. This takes only a few minutes. The area is cleaned and dried. The filling material is placed and polished.

Fillings do not need to be unsightly as there are many choices that can blend in quite well.

To deal with the fear you need to discover what it means to you. Ask the following.

What do I fear will happen?
What does having a filling mean to me?
If I have a filling, how will this effect me as a person?

All phobias come down to one thing the belief that I can't handle it, whatever "it" is. The truth is we can handle almost anything. Life is full of ups and downs. Believe in yourself. Having a filling does not change who you are as a person.

I would talk with the dentist about any concerns you have. Understanding the process and getting correct and accurate information can help to relieve your fears.

Blessing :)

This is really interesting. It makes me wonder if we're doing a disservice to kids by making a big deal out of "no cavities" as though having cavities made us bad people. Cavities and dental problems happen, even to people who take good care of their teeth. I think the goal should be to take the best care of your teeth that you possibly can, rather than "don't get cavities."

Haggis, you may be right. I'm sure that if I had needed the odd filling when I was a kiddie I wouldnt be so stressed out about it now. Perhaps I just need to get on and have one and get over it. I guess some people just strive for perfection...

I can understand the feeling that a filling = failure, it really is drummed into us as children that we must look after our teeth properly or we will get fillings, but some people are prone to fillings no matter what they do.

I've had a few fillings over the past few months and I've opted for white ones. I had a load of silver ones as a child and grew used to seeing them, but with these white ones, I can hardly see the new fillings are there. It does make it easier to look in my mouth.

If you have to have a filling, ask about a natural coloured one.

As children we are always told we don't want fillings but no one tells us why ..... we just assume they will hurt I suppose.

I have a friend who's daughter had a complete fit everytime she went near the hairdressers and as a consequence she didn't take her.
One day whilst out shopping we decided to try again ....... the screams could be heard for miles! Then suddenly it clicked, when she was younger she was always trying to get hold of the scissors and and knives and was told a variety of things: do not to touch them they will cut you, they will make you bleed and you could loose a finger - fast forward to the hairdressers and the lady who sits you in a chair too high to climb out of then comes at you with ...... a pair of scissors :confused:

She is fine now after we had our hair cut to show her that it doesn't really hurt - it's amazing how the things we tell our children can stay with them for life.

:)

i hate the dentist i had all my teeth taken out with an iv sedation the last thing i remember was them saying breathe through the nose prior to the visit i sweated through 2 shirts and alomost got sick so ya hang in there u will rock please feal free to send a message if u have any ???:whistle:

Back