• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well Into It Now

S

Sassy411

Ok, I finally couldn't avoid it any longer--the same PTSD from which many of you suffer due to early dental & other types of trauma. But the work has to be done, do I signed up for dental insurance & went to a dentist highly recommended.

The solutions aren't too bad--extensive crown/bridge work, the cost of implants being too hard to justify right now.

First day of work was uppers--took way longer than expected, I was in that danged chair for 7 hrs with local & NS. Not fun, but I survivied.

Silly me, I thought lowers would be easier. That was 9 hrs & the dentist said she gave me the max NS & local. One of the bridges "locked" incorrectly, nobody could remove it so the dentist tried to file it down to a comfortable level. The pain on my lower back teeth was unbearable. Not a good day.

Once the local wore off over the w/e, I realized there was a sharp ridge on the bad bridge slicing into my tongue. Went back on Monday--waited for an extra dentist to come in to remove it. Another all day ordeal--the bridge had to be sawed in half to be removed. Luckily, the substitute dentist knew about some extra nerve circuit or something for a back tooth & zapped a 2d round of local--success!! No pain this time but a lot of moving my jaw & face around.

Had to wait over 1 1/2 hrs for a new temp--they cast this one on a mold.

Today I have a headache & feel like I need to go easy on myself. But I alternate with feeling guilty & anxious about all the time I've missed at the gym. Probably silly, I guess.

Anyway, we only have 4 more bottom teeth to prep, so it's almost over. I hope.

That's my story. I think I want permission to be a little lazy today--I have to work, but maybe I can rest up after & baby myself a bit.

Wow, congrats on getting so much done! You totally deserve some time to yourself. You've earned it.

Thank you. I must say, I don't regret taking these steps. I have a tendancy to push things & probably scheduled the uppers & lowers too close together to really recoup.

I'm going to give myself a week off before scheduling the final four.

Back