• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared

B

beejee

Well it's settled. I HAVE to get dental work done. Today the bridge came off and boy was it NASTY inside. Those teeth have to go. So I called my dentist and changed my appointment from June 16th to next week. I'll get X-rays and then the verdict. I know I have to get at least 4 pulled. That leaves me with only one one the bottom. The top teeth have the same bridge work so I'm not hopeful. Just want these rotten teeth OUT.

I'll me referred to an oral surgeon and go from there. I called regarding the IV Sedation and asked if I would remember anything. The receptionist said "Why would you want to remember anything?" LOL - good point. She really put me at ease.

I'm not stressing about the appointment next week - it is just an exam and I have a long way to go. But this is a start. But I'm scared. I go from being rational to irrational to the point I can cry.

By the way, I looked at the bridge work and there was a hole worn right through it.

Scared Scared Scared but wanting to fix this thing.

I asked my husband if he could still love me with dentures...he said that he had a lot of work done, too. I never saw that part of him :)

Anyway, here I go. Please everyone, be there for me. Let me know IV Sedation is no big deal.

I should also add that I was neglected/abused as a child and I'm sure this adds to all the stress I am feeling.

Gotta just go from here...because the fear will be the end of me.

Thank you for listening, all you wonderful people out there. I need you.

Get implants, they are expensive but worth it!

I'm terrified of dentists too but have a great oral surgeon. He's a legend who has been doing my surgical stuff.

IV sedation is amazing! Prefer General anaesthetic though.

I haven't had IV sedation (just nitrous), but that seems a whole lot better for me (and possible less dangerous?) than GA, but that's just me and my fear of being out of it!

When is your appointment so I can send good thoughts your way?

My initial appointment - just for X-rays and a consult is next Thursday. Thank you for being there for me.

dont worry about it too much yu will be fine and i will be sure to send good thoughts ur way the day before ur appointment :XXLhug:. i think i found my dentist i just e-mailed her the other day;D:(;D;D

Good for you! Let me know how it goes.

...All the very best Beejee...thinking of you...plse dont worry too much ok, its going to be absoloutely fine and you will feel and look better at the end of it, plse do remember that..:) take care and all the best!

I have my upper extractions/dentures today myself at 4pm (uk time) and am soo nervous (but excited too at having a normal looking smile!)..;)

good luck for today, tk care x

IV sedation is a breeze and you will love it. I'm about 12 days post-op from getting all 4 wisdom teeth extracted and the surgery was the LEAST of my worries. I went in, got the IV in my arm, and woke up asking for my mom. I still remember nothing from the surgery and I don't even remember feeling any pain until the anesthetic wore off like 5 hours later, and by then I'd taken a pain pill and it was all good.

You'll do great. Don't let the sedation part worry you because they monitor that stuff very closely. My dentist had those little heart monitor pads all over my chest and told me jokes while he waited for the IV to kick in.

I had IV sedation for the second time yesterday and honestly it is brilliant! I hope your appointment goes well.:XXLhug:

Thank you to everyone. I'm gonna try and put this out of my mind for this long Memorial Day weekend, "try" being the operative word here. It is so wonderful to have everyone here supporting me. IV sedation is still scary...but I just tell myself that I have two consultations before that happens. I am looking forward to having a healthy mouth, and not to worry all the time. This situation is consuming my life.

Try to relax and enjoy the long weekend.

My next surgery is in 2 weeks and I'm trying to do the same thing. I keep trying to tell myself that my teeth will be in great shape for summer after this next visit!

:cheers:

yea for sure i will let yu know and they havent called me or anything yet but im sure they will any time now so yea im really excited and real nervous

Last edited by a moderator:
Freaking out. Don't know why, just freaking about about the IV Sedation. Why can't I just get a grip already.

Will definitely be thinking of you next Thursday!

It's normal to fear the unknown. I'm sure many, if not all of us, have been there, at that point where it's just panic at what might happen. You're not alone!

Back