• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New User - With An Unhealthy Fear Of Dentists!

A

Andria24

Hey to all. As per my title, I'm a new user. Had been looking on the web for some hints and advice re my incredibly bad fear and this site was right at the top of the page. I'm glad I checked the site out.

A little history - I'm relatively new to dental phobias.

Always had regular dental treatment. Never been overjoyed at dental visits, more a 'needs must' thing.

18 months ago, whilst in Lisbon, a back lower left wisdom infection flared up. I thought nothing of it at the time. Found a dentist in the city, was prescribed anti-biotics, return visit booked for the following week.

Returned for the consultation re 'what next?'. Explained that my infection hadn't completely gone. The dentist (native Portuguese one) said it was no matter - it needed to come out anyway. Not happy but hey - I wasn't the professional.

I pointed out that whatever, it wouldn't numb due to the infection. He convinced me I was wrong. Consequently he made me feel quite silly and so the extraction went ahead - no anaesthetic. He did try, I indicated it hadn't worked, he said 'let me at least put pressure on the tooth to see' kind of thing.

I let him - he simply initiated the extraction. Then followed some 40 or 45 minutes of utter agony. Turns out the wisdom tooth had a hooked root. He ended up having to split it and then proceeded to dig it out.

Halfway through he took a five minute break (!) as he was half shattered, and, it turns out, panicing that he wouldn't get the tooth out. By this time I was reduced to a mess and in shock.

He eventually dug it out, then had to insert stitches. Nice.

He told me afterward that in all his years of dentistry, he'd never had such a dreadful extraction. I surmised I was supposed to feel impressed with either his prowess at the fact he'd managed something he thought he wouldn't, or the fact that my extraction was at the top of his horror story list. Needless to say, I was a lot of other things - being impressed wasn't one of them.

Beyond the extraction, I was in agony for days. The lower half of my face swelled up, bruising appeared to the extent I looked like I'd been chinned on the jaw by Chris Eubanks and I've been left with an unshakable fear ever since.

Seven months ago, as a means of testing just how deeply seated my fear had developed, I managed to crack an upper molar whilst at a wedding. It was mostly filling, though a small piece of tooth also came away. Despite being at a wedding, I dissolved into floods of tears at the thought of a visit to a dentist.

Despite knowing it probably needs removing, the thought of seeing a dentist makes me vomit, no kidding.

Just writing this, I'm almost heaving. I'm hoping someone will say something that will at least allay my fears. Oh - and to boot my jaunting off to Portugal on a regular basis appears to have lost me my place with my UK dentist. Not the best of situations, despite my fear.

If anyone does get round to reading through my tome of desperation, please accept my thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
What a horrible, horrible experience. I am a lot older than you but had a conversation with my periodontist today about bad dentists, pain, etc. He talked about how dentistry has changed in the last 20+ years.....I am sure it has. But the gentleness, compassion, kindness and understanding that goes with the profession, as he talked and told me, that's probably innate and has to be in you to begin with. Unfortunately, there are people out there who wouldn't even know how to spell compassion let alone practice it. He also talked about the benefits of having dentists periodically sit in the chair (beyond their normal visits) to re-visit the patient's experience to better understand dental phobia. Good idea.

Bottomline, you are young and I am glad you seeking help thru this forum to deal with your fears and anxieties. You have every right in the world to feel anxious. My advice to you would be to try to find someone you are totally comfortable with; it is your right and decision!!! Don't give up. Don't let fear and anxiety rule you. Trust me, you will be glad you take another risk and deal with it. Good luck!

Wow, you poor thing! I had a bad experience to..but nothing compared to yours! It took me a long, l-o-n-g time to return to a dentist. Hopefully you can ask around and find someone you'll be comfortable with in the future. Good luck!!

oh my god!
i am so sorry you had to go through that.

my first appt in 17 yrs was with a real peach who said: "I'm not going to do anything more because it would be for my own ego, and you would probably have a heart attack."

i have since found a very very great dentist and periodontist.

the good ones out there. i hope you can find some comfort here.
:)