• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Went in today to start my journey...turned away

K

klckac

Three weeks ago I overcame my dental fear long enough to go and get an exam (I have not seen a dentist in six years). It was determined that I needed all of my upper teeth extracted, and then get an immediate denture.
Today I was scheduled to have two teeth extracted and have my impressions done. I was prescribed Zanax for my appointment, so I thought I was pretty calm, but when they checked my blood pressure.... it was sky high (they checked it four times). Bottem line- the Dentist will not do any work with my blood pressure elevated. After leaving the dentist, I made a bee line for my regular doctor and explined my problem that I had wih the dentist (I have had borderline high blood pressure for awhile) and he prescribed some medication to help bring my blood pressure down. It should take about two weeks to stablize. I find it highly ironic that I have been running from the dentist most of my life, and when I finally get the nerve to go, they won't treat me. Is there anyone else who has had this problem? Just curious.

Hm, I figured they would've given you something at the dentist's office to help. When I had my surgery last week my blood pressure was high and they have me something (I'm not sure if it was the nitrous or the valium) to lower it.

That's respsonsible of your dentist! Is it possible for you to get a second opinion though? I read on here of someone who went in and was told she needed extractions, but went to another dentist and got a different diagnosis.

No, I'm sure my teeth are beyond repair. The dentist did provide Zanax for my fears. My regular doctor prescribed some blood pressure meds today, so hopefully my pressure will be stable in a couple of weeks and I can start my procedures.

I've had to take blood pressure meds for a while now..and my dentist and doctor are both aware that it goes up the second I step into the office. It was 148/80 at the oral surgeons office. (I figured it would be higher!) The nurse said they will make allowances for people to have a bp of 200 over something (can't remember now what the number was) because it's just normal for some people to freak out. She said if they didn't, they'd never get any work done on some people. You could get a second opinion elsewhere if you still have problems with the first dentist.

Back