• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

hello

S

sk

i am new here, need help desperatly. My upper left molar is broken and decayed and needs to come out. I been putting it of for 3 years now, not able to eat from that side. i am so scared to get it out, since it is a surgical extraction and when ask the oral surgeon he tells me that he needs to seperate the three roots of the molar and take it out one by one. Also he needs to cou the tooth in pieces and cut the bone to get to the tooth. And a rare complication which can happen is a hole in the sinus. and if it happens then they have to do another minor surgery right then to close the hole. And if i do nothing about the tooth it can become abcess and get an infection. As it is i have a constant bad taste in my mouth probably from the tooth. Can anybody help me, is there anyway to protect this hole in sinus and all. Does somebody know of a good dentists who can do a good job on this. i appreciate any kind of help, is all so difficult for me because i also panic/anxiety and depression problem.

thanks
sk

Hi SK!

I'm not sure where you are, so I can't really make a recommendation for a dentist or oral surgeon, but I can tell you that I have had 4 oral surgeries and a gum graft, and I got through it! The only part that I remember about the experience is coming out of sedation and the nurse asking me to walk a straight line.

Knowing the technical things involved with having the tooth removed is good because it makes you an informed patient, but maybe you should try not to focus on those things before your appointment. I'm sure you will either be put under sedation or so numb you won't feel what they're doing or know what they're doing when they're doing it.

And if this tooth has been causing you problems for three years now and puts a bad taste in your mouth, I think you owe it to yourself to get it taken care of. Maybe think about it this way: if you have the tooth removed, the surgery will be over in an hour or two, but if you don't have the tooth removed the problem will persist indefinitely.

good luck! Everything will be okay!

Back