• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HAd a root canal long ago - now the tooth broke off

K

KathyLev

I had a root canal on an already crowned tooth. ( Maybe 10 years ago ) Yesterday - the whole tooth , crown & all broke off near the gum line. It's a bottom left molar.Since it's a dead tooth & the pieces fit back together perfectly , can I just do as I've heard -- clean , dry & sterilize the 2 parts and use super glue to glue them back together? Sorry if that sounds freaky - but I've been told that super glue is used alot for medical purposes ! What would a dentist do ? ( mine is on vacation - it figures ... ) LOL
Thank you for any advice you can give me !

Whatever you do- DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE ON A TOOTH!!!!!
It can be quite damaging to the gum tisues and the tooth itself.
It is also a nightmare for the dentist to try to clean it all up and salvage the situation (I speak from experience).
It is one of the things I dread patients saying - 'I glued it back in with superglue'- as it usually means that I'm not getting any lucnch that day!!!
Wait and see a dentist or buy a temporary dental filling/cement from a pharmac/drug store.
best wishes
Dr Mike

I can't thank you enough Dr. Mike !!! I promise I will never use superglue. If there is anyone on earth that I don't want to have mad at me - it's the dentist and the hairdresser. Nope. I have to be nice to them !

I didn't know they made any kind of cement that I could buy and use. I put the crown with the tooth back in & it fits snugly . Hopefully it will hold untill my dentist gets back from vacation.

I just wish I knew what he's going to do for me ... I think I already paid enough to put 2 of his kids through college *sigh*
( $$$$$$ )

Yes, I found the temporary crown cement at the drug store. In a real pinch, you could always try the stuf they use to bond dentures.

FWIW, every tooth I've ever had root canaled eventually shattered. The dentist said the nerve dies & without proper blood supply the tooth becomes very brittle & ultimately breaks.

Always made me wonder why I went thru all of the expense & torture . . .

You know ,Sassy - I thought the same thing . Why spend big bucks on a tooth that will eventually become brittle & break then need MORE work .
*sigh*

Back