• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple Extractions

B

beejee

Need to have 13 teeth extracted using IV Sedation. Please let me know your experiences cause I am really really scared. I don't want to remember anything. How long do you think the procedure will take?
I really don't want to remember anything, just the IV going in and me going home.

All I remembered was the IV going in,and then waking up being told it was done and over with.I don't know how long it might take,as I've only had at most,2 teeth at a time pulled,but you'll be ok.The worst for me was making the appt. and getting there :redface:

:XXLhug: Once you get there and started,it will be over in no time.

beejee, I haven't had my extractions yet..but if I counted right from the papers they gave me I have 27 to come out. The oral surgeon said it would take from 90 minutes to 2 hours total. So yours should be less..maybe an hour.

I know what you mean. I had an extraction done with nitrous and novocaine yesterday and while it didn't hurt, I kept thinking I hope the other extractions with IV sedation are NOTHING like that because I don't want to know ANYTHING that's going on. Don't want to be aware of the tugging. I just want to be knocked OUT totally. Makes me very anxious thinking about it. :(

Last edited:
Did you have your denture in when you woke up?

I was absolutely petrified of IV sedation (loss of control for me), but let me tell you - it is positively, without a doubt, THE BEST way to have multiple extractions!!

I had 11 teeth out in one go. 9 on the top ( 3 of those broken off at the gum line), and 2 molars from the bottom.

I arrived at the oral surgeon's office at 9:10. Filled out just a few forms, and they called me back to the room at 9:15. I went in the room. They hooked me up to the monitor and IV. I was out in about 10 seconds. I woke up on my way to the recovery area (still have no memory of ANY of the procedure, or even getting out of the chair), 45 minutes later (10:00) with my immediate full top denture already in place. Sat in the recovery area for 10-15 minutes, with my hubby. Walked out to the car. We stopped at the drug store for the pain meds, and went home. I took the pain meds as soon as I walked in the door, and then slept for a few hours. Woke up later, feeling fine. (A little sore from the extractions, but mentally alert - no after effects from the sedation).

They must have put something in the IV to help with swelling because I only had a tiny bit in the top front area (6 of the 11 teeth were top front teeth), that lasted for 1 day and then was totally gone!

All of the previous extractions I've had in my life were done with local only. If I only knew then how wonderful IV sedation was, I would have chosen it EVERY SINGLE time!!!!

You really have NOTHING to worry about. If I could go through with it, and I honestly was terrified of it, you can too. Please try not to let your worry about it keep you from getting it done. I can't praise the benefits of it enough, and I think there are quite a few people on this forum that would agree with me!!

Best wishes to you - - -
yvonne

I was absolutely petrified of IV sedation (loss of control for me), but let me tell you - it is positively, without a doubt, THE BEST way to have multiple extractions!!yvonne

I've just had one out by IV and it was awesome. Its the only way I'll have it done.

I had 6 out on Tuesday and it was fine. It took 45 mins most of which was recovery time. I went in at 10am, it was about 10.10am when he put the IV in and he started asking me my husbands name to get him to collect me at 10.40am.

It really isn't scary, all there is to it is going and letting them put the IV in, the rest is nothing to worry about as you won't be aware of what happened anyway. I know it is very hard to understand that and I spent weeks worrying and now think why did I worry? :XXLhug:

Did you have your denture in when you woke up?

beejee, haven't had my extractions yet..I'm scheduled for July 7th. But yes, they will be putting in immediate upper AND lower dentures. I'll be a new woman! :yay:

Really happy to read others descriptions of IV sedation..because I to am very nervous about it. The loss of control isn't an issue for me....it's just that I'm terrified that I might feel them tugging at my teeth. :o

I will be honest with you and the first time I had IV I couldn't remember a thing, I too was worried about the loss of control. I really though I couldn't do it and was so scared about being in pain and not being able to shout out or being aware of what was happening and not being able to do anything. I kept telling myself that it was ok saying you forget but what about during. It was honestly the worst few weeks I have ever waited for anything, I was terrified, it was all I talked about, I lost sleep over it. But it was amazing! I really was ok.

This time I could remember everything but NEVER was I scared. I was desperate to the my hubby all about it but couldn't talk very well (too numb) and by the time I fell asleep and woke up I had forgotten all the details. I am the worlds biggest wimp with pain and I really didn't experience any and at no point did I feel frightened.

It really is fantastic! Of course everyones experience is different, some do remember, some don't but the one thing that seems to be the same for everyone is the success!!!! :)

That's what makes me nervous. People almost all say the same thing..that you don't remember a thing. BUT..I stress about DURING the extractions. I hate the thought that I might be laying there knowing what they are doing (even if it isn't painful) the entire time..but not being about to react. I keep thinking I'm going to be having a total panic attack in my head...if that makes sense. :(

But I don't want to remember anything. That's the part that worries me.

But I don't want to remember anything. That's the part that worries me.

ME EITHER! And I don't want to know anything DURING! Just want to be knocked out 100%! :sleep:

you will be totally out with the iV sedation i had 28 teeth it was and dont remember much except for what i have discussed with you prior to this thread i was in and out in under and hour 45 min total for procedure good luck to you and u will do great:thumbsup:

All I remembered was the IV going in,and then waking up being told it was done and over with.I don't know how long it might take,as I've only had at most,2 teeth at a time pulled,but you'll be ok.The worst for me was making the appt. and getting there :redface:

:XXLhug: Once you get there and started,it will be over in no time.

Exactly my experience. According to dh, it was over & done in about 10 mins. Amazing.

How many did you have extracted at one time?

I was petrified the first time I had IV sedation that I was going to feel or remember something...

I promise you,... I remember nothing and felt absolutely nothing...its the best...it also felt like it only took a couple of minutes.

I go tomorrow for an extraction under sedation and I am not worried only sad cos its my front tooth that I am about to say goodbye to.

beejee..when is your extractions appointment?

Had one extraction done yesterday under IV sedation...I remember sitting in the chair talking with the dentist as he put the little butterfly needle in my arm and then remarking on the fact I could feel the cold liquid enter my arm...the next thing I remember is being helped inside at home to my bed for a nap...I have no memory of anything that happened in between...I felt no pain whatsoever and the numbness lasted a good 4 hours after I got home so I took a few pain tablets and that was the end of it...all over...easy peasy...worst thing was the anticipation and mourning the loss of a front tooth which is now nicely replaced with a partial denture that is amazingly comfortable.:yay:

This is not the 1st time I have had IV treatment...I had 5 difficult molars removed a few years back...same thing...no memory of the whole event...its the only way to do it. write the day off...do not plan anything for the next 24 hours cos you may still be a touch wobbly or unreliable and easily tired.

here is my story i had 32 teeth pulled under IV sedation and i dont remember a thing except for them puting some sort of mask thing on my nose and i woke up 45min later toothless and had no pain after lil dicomfort

Back