Thread: How long does it take a cavity to form??

Default How long does it take a cavity to form??

Hi,

My last checkup was in August of '09 and at that time there was nothing wrong with my teeth, everything seemed fine.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in March and after the surgery I noticed one of my molars had a dark spot on it, but I didnt think anything of it, because I figured if it was serious the denist or surgeon would have mentioned it.

I looked last night and the spot has grown and there is not a black spot on the botton of the tooth. Can a cavity really form that fast???

I am terribly scared of having a cavity and the pain of needles! I hate needles!!

If it is a cavity do you think that it would require a root canal? And if so, would I be able to be sedated? The only thing that made the wisdom teeth bearable was being sedated.

I'm very nervous, and I am moving to a new city tomorrow so I can't even see my dentist before I leave.

Default Re: How long does it take a cavity to form??

3 months seems a bit quick for a cavity to form, but it's theoretically possible. But you've leapt from a minor cavity (which is the worst this could be) straight to root canals and sedation. The worst that you'll likely need done here would be a minor filling, which you can still be sedated for if you want. Chances are you won't even need a filling

losinmuhteefs Guest

Default Re: How long does it take a cavity to form??

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdust View Post
      Hi,

My last checkup was in August of '09 and at that time there was nothing wrong with my teeth, everything seemed fine.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in March and after the surgery I noticed one of my molars had a dark spot on it, but I didnt think anything of it, because I figured if it was serious the denist or surgeon would have mentioned it.

I looked last night and the spot has grown and there is not a black spot on the botton of the tooth. Can a cavity really form that fast???

I am terribly scared of having a cavity and the pain of needles! I hate needles!!

If it is a cavity do you think that it would require a root canal? And if so, would I be able to be sedated? The only thing that made the wisdom teeth bearable was being sedated.

I'm very nervous, and I am moving to a new city tomorrow so I can't even see my dentist before I leave.
      Could be just a stained area. I think it is possible to develop a cavity in three months, if you are sucking down pepsi and coke daily!