• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does it take a cavity to form??

S

Snowdust

Hi,

My last checkup was in August of '09 and at that time there was nothing wrong with my teeth, everything seemed fine.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in March and after the surgery I noticed one of my molars had a dark spot on it, but I didnt think anything of it, because I figured if it was serious the denist or surgeon would have mentioned it.

I looked last night and the spot has grown and there is not a black spot on the botton of the tooth. Can a cavity really form that fast???

I am terribly scared of having a cavity and the pain of needles! I hate needles!!

If it is a cavity do you think that it would require a root canal? And if so, would I be able to be sedated? The only thing that made the wisdom teeth bearable was being sedated.

I'm very nervous, and I am moving to a new city tomorrow so I can't even see my dentist before I leave.

3 months seems a bit quick for a cavity to form, but it's theoretically possible. But you've leapt from a minor cavity (which is the worst this could be) straight to root canals and sedation. The worst that you'll likely need done here would be a minor filling, which you can still be sedated for if you want. Chances are you won't even need a filling :)

Hi,

My last checkup was in August of '09 and at that time there was nothing wrong with my teeth, everything seemed fine.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in March and after the surgery I noticed one of my molars had a dark spot on it, but I didnt think anything of it, because I figured if it was serious the denist or surgeon would have mentioned it.

I looked last night and the spot has grown and there is not a black spot on the botton of the tooth. Can a cavity really form that fast???

I am terribly scared of having a cavity and the pain of needles! I hate needles!!

If it is a cavity do you think that it would require a root canal? And if so, would I be able to be sedated? The only thing that made the wisdom teeth bearable was being sedated.

I'm very nervous, and I am moving to a new city tomorrow so I can't even see my dentist before I leave.

Could be just a stained area. I think it is possible to develop a cavity in three months, if you are sucking down pepsi and coke daily!

Back