• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

back from tooth extraction

T

totallyterrified71

I posted an earlier post about me having a tooth extraction today. What helped me the most is the doctor that originally gave me a consult was the one who worked on my tooth today. He talked me through everything and made sure that because the numbing stuff didnt totally numb me that I was given more along with the nitrous oxide. Let me say for those that havent had nitrous oxide wow what an experience that was ;D. I felt like I could just reach out the window and go float on the clouds and the clouds were turning into big cotton candy balls. it was so nice. when they numbed me they let me know I would feel the poke and that was the worst of it all. I did have to be poked again though because I had one little tiny spot that was not numb. I asked them to give a bit more and they were so very nice to me. The only down side to me was being pushed upon by another dental hygenist on having both upper and lower dentures put in. and by put in she kept enforcing that they needed to be done now. I told her look I am extremely not liking that I am here but im so proud that I came there and it all worked out in the end. I know I will have to have dentures but maybe another day. I am just happy that it went so well and so happy that I had the same doc I had that evaluated me. :yay:

Well done for today, i'm really pleased that you had a positive experience and no pain with your extraction. :jump:

:jump: Good job! That laughing gas is something else, isn't it? Very odd sensation of floating....but it certainly takes the edge off! ;)

thank you everyone. I am so glad they gave me the laughing gas. Amazing how good you feel on it even if you do look like a dork laying there with it over your nose lol. I totally wanted to reach out to the clouds that were like cotton candy to me lol. Ok, off to rest now and find some pain meds. Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. I am by no means done but at least I made it through today so far. still very numbed up though so we will see how it goes throughout the rest of the day. Thanks again :)

:jump::XXLhug: just wanted to say a BIG well done to you !!! you should be really proud of yourself :grouphug: i hope you are more comfortable now and arent in pain

thank you michelle. I am still in a small bit of pain and the area around where my tooth was extracted is swollen still. I am just waiting for the bleeding to finally ease off so I dont have to keep the gauze in. I did end up taking a pain killer to help me out but I wish I had more of the nitrous oxide for the pain instead that was sooo wild feeling. now that im done with the tooth and started the road back to good health I am happy but unfortunately, I am going to find a different dentist to go to because this one is sky high on prices and I cant afford payments as high as they want for more work to be done. But I am ok with that as long as I can finish what needs done. I just want to be healthy again. I have to do things in small steps and getting this done today was a HUGE step for me. now im just going to let things heal and keep on my search for a dentist that isnt so money hungry in my area and hopefully I find one.

thank you michelle. I am still in a small bit of pain and the area around where my tooth was extracted is swollen still. I am just waiting for the bleeding to finally ease off so I dont have to keep the gauze in. I did end up taking a pain killer to help me out but I wish I had more of the nitrous oxide for the pain instead that was sooo wild feeling. now that im done with the tooth and started the road back to good health I am happy but unfortunately, I am going to find a different dentist to go to because this one is sky high on prices and I cant afford payments as high as they want for more work to be done. But I am ok with that as long as I can finish what needs done. I just want to be healthy again. I have to do things in small steps and getting this done today was a HUGE step for me. now im just going to let things heal and keep on my search for a dentist that isnt so money hungry in my area and hopefully I find one.

its really irritating isnt it, that once we finally muster up every flipping ounce of courage we can find in our bodies, panic for weeks on end awaiting the appointment, then struggle to get there to face our treatment without pasisng out with fear, we are then hit with ridiculously high bills!! lots of dentists charge crazy amounts to have our teeth sorted, i hope you find a good one who charges reasonable fees! :thumbsup:
my dentist is nhs and private, and although i am on his books as an nhs patient, the sedation i had was only given through paying privately so that meant all treatment was doubled too as it was done under sedation. so my IV, 2 teeth extractions and a filling to my front tooth cost me a whopping £360! once i am healed, i need to make regular visits to sort out old fillings etc, as well as seeing the hygenist, god knows how much that will all cost, especially since i cant bear the thought of having the drill go down into my nerves because LA never numbs me up enough! thats the whole reason i was sedated for extraction! soooooooooo looks like i have to save pennies for a long time, then make one appointment to get a few things done under sedation, and then start all again :(
all that, on top of being a complete dental phobe isnt helping my confidence!
i wish you the best of luck and hope your extraction site is feeling more comfrtable today. my jaw is still a little swollen and i am still on pain meds 3 days later as i had a difficult root to come out, but i'm feeling much better than i did! hugs to you :grouphug:

yes it most certainly is no fun to get into the dentist you have put all your confidence into to find that more in depth work is going to be sky high price wise. I am just still happy I took the step yesterday to get my bad tooth out. I am still trying to get over the price shock of how much it will be to get straight teeth all around. I think I will keep searching until I find another dentist. This is day 2 for me now and I still have to wear gauze but its just a slight bleeding now from my tooth being out. I also am on pain meds and have to still sleep totally sitting up. I hope you get to feeling better michelle. Sounds like you also went through quite a lot.

are you resting up? i didnt move from the sofa and my bleeding stopped very quickly. dont lean your head forward either or get too busy, as doing too much too soon can make the extraction site open up and ooze. have you tried a cold compress also? it helped mine. i cant lie flat in bed, takes me ages to get off to sleep! it hurts when i lie down, even on 3 pillows, my head throbs badly and my face hurts. i've been putting a huge fluffy dressing gown on top of my 3 pillows and also a cushion and "sleeping" for as long as possible propped up. i'm really tired now as i couldnt sleep well for 5 weeks prior to having the 2 teeth removed as they were badly decayed and nerves exposed causing constant agony. i was hoping by now to be sleeping through the night .. oh well .. onwards and upwards !! this pain and discomfort far better than having bad teeth!! i am sure you agree :XXLhug:

yes I have been resting up. I have been reading a lot on the internet too. I did sleep for a few hours last night in bed propped up with a bunch of pillows but I cant sleep well like that. today (day 2) I am just feeling tired out and learning what foods I can and cant eat. if I can ever stay awake for a few hours then I want to go back to the store and get some other soft food. I can only stand so much pudding and cant really have soup yet from everything I have read online. I also have pain pills I can take which I havent had any yet today. And I also have an antibiotic that I am taking too. How many teeth did you get extracted michelle? I know you told me before..

i had 2 teeth out, they are my "chewing" molar teeth i have no idea what they are called, most people on here number them lol but i dont have any idea how to! i just know that without them on each side, i cant chew ANYTHING!
i heard soup can give dry socket? i have avoided soup like the plague! am eating spag bol ready meals, very easy to swallow, no chewing needing really, except for with my front teeth as it goes into my mouth. jelly is good, porridge, readybrek, yogurt, mash potato, veg mashed up with a little butter and black pepper for taste, or even gravy on it. i like aero mousses so have been eating those too, my husband gets them each time he pops to the shops. i went into town today, its the first time i have had enough energy to go out, we tried food shopping the other night and i felt quite lightheaded and a bit spaced out. am sure the IV drug was still in my system, as well as lack of sleep not helping.
how you doing now anyway, what have you eaten today?

I have read conflicting reports and posting about what you can eat after extractions. I had some soup after I had my tooth out and I went dry socket, which then got infected. I had to go back to the dentist and have it drained and was told that was why I had a DS and I should be eating solid food, and not anything soft or mushy.

In my case, the dentist told my wife all this as I was away in the clouds thanks to IV Sedation. Unfortunatly, my wife forgot to tell me....

i remember reading your post about dry socket, and from what you said it was agony!! thats why i avoided soup :) i thought i wouldnt bother risking it!
the oral surgeopn gave me 3 days worth of anti biotics which i have just finished tonight. i am hoping that will keep dry socket away :thumbsup:
grahamdee i hope you are now completely pain free and eating normally! i am too afraid to put anything hard into my mouth, just eating a banana yesterday gave me a lot of pain as a tiny bit got into my socket. friday night is ually curry night for me and my husband but i am wary of eating rice so soon, so might have to give it a miss tomorrow. although my sockets look to be healing well i dont want to unsettle the clots and cause myself more probs

michelle, I have only ate light foods today like pudding, yogurt, juice and water. I havent ate anything else and I won't touch soup anymore until I finish clotting. My socket where the tooth was is still trying to bleed a tiny bit and they told me that it will take another day for it to stop. I may try a tea bag tonight though to put over the opening. I too went into town today and that was about all I could do. I have been sleeping most of the day today. I could barely hold my eyes open most of the morning. I am sore around the gum line on both sides and tomorrow I will be out of antibiotic. I already called the dentist to see if I needed more since I still have gauze in my mouth and still am pretty swollen. maybe tomorrow I will try something like cottage cheese or something like mashed potatoes. I just wanted to make sure the healing had started first. How are you feeling now? This is only my 1st day after surgery so it will take me awhile to heal.

i have read a few posts on here about cold tea bags over a socket to stop bleeding and promote healing, let me know if it works! i am lucky in the sense i had bleeding for just the first 30mins after extractions, although the pain from where the oral surgeon cut into my gum to remove the broken tooth is still so tender and needing pain meds to keep it at bay.
its meant to be our curry night tomorrow (every friday) but i dont think rice would be a good idea for me! neither could i eat naan bread, as i cant chew anything. its now just over 72hrs since i had my teeth out but i'm finding it really hard to eat normally. maybe i am more fearful than i need to be? hmmmm
i just dont wanna upset the clots that have formed. are you going to gargle with warm salt rinses? i swear by it and do it 5 times a day, especially after eating as it helps removes any food bits form the sockets and keeps them clean. its a great healing agent too! someone posted on here about arnica to help with it all but i havent tried that.
do you know, i miss a slice of toast and jam! :drool:
hope you get a decent nights sleep, i am off to bed now, will prop myself up for another uncomfortable night, and hope i dont count up to 3000 sheep this time :p
night x

ugh!!!! my bf knows that I can't eat solid food yet. Only the soft stuff and im already tired of eating pudding. He is on his way home and what does he ask me to put in the oven tonight? Pizza! So totally unfair..... he knows I cant have it and yet I have to sit here while he eats it. I am so frustrated :)
I mean you would think that spouses/bf's/gf's would be understanding if you just had dental work done :)

Ahhh..that's mean! I'm going to miss pizza next month. :(

totally mean indeed! :meanie: ha ha. especially since as I type this he is eating it infront of me. ugh!!! so not fair. so my choice is pudding or applesauce. ohhh goody me ha ha ha... come back to me real food. oh how I miss you. :cry:

i woul dhave sprinkled a few chilli peppers into the cheese ..... :ROFLMAO::giggle::meanie:
see how much he enjoys it then! lol !
my hubby ate pizza last night too, and i cooked it for him! but i did get lucky, he went out and got me another spag bol ready meal so i ate something decent rather than MORE puddings! CRIKEY i never thought i would get sick of puds :p

Back