• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

what to eat after regular tooth extraction?

T

totallyterrified71

I had my tooth out yesterday (#19 lower left front) Other than pudding, applesauce, possibly yogurt, are there any other foods you can have that are soft like cottage cheese or anything that isn't pudding? :) I am tired of having that and I don't want mashed potatoes either. I was just curious if anyone can recommend anything else I can have until I get back to a regular diet to tide me over since pudding is not filling at all.

Only one tooth?? You can eat whatever you want, just don't chew on the extraction side.

RP, I wish I could eat whatever I want to. but I was told that because it was considered to be a "surgery" even though I didnt have to have stitches that I have to stay on soft food since I haven't clotted completely yet. I was told the clotting could take until tomorrow since the dentist had a tough time getting my tooth out. I want to eat like cottage cheese and yogurt but read online that yogurt is not good since it has live cultures in it and the cottage cheese does too. I should be back on solid foods soon enough (without eating on that side of my mouth) but until then, I have to stay with drinking lots and eating soft foods.

As long as you are not bleeding you are clotted, what you don't want to do in the first 24 hours is disturb the clot, Most extraction instructions tell you to avoid the sucking, smoking, rinsing etc the first 24 hours. It pays to be careful of dry socket the first 72 hours.

I had 4 out, 3 surgically and was told I could eat anything I could swallow the second day except for foods such as nuts, potato chips, hot or spicy foods, etc… Since it was all four corners of my mouth I had no other side and it was tender for a week or so, some good soft diet recommendations are eggs, hamburger, chicken, fish, soft cheeses, yogurt, soups, pasta, protein drinks, soggy cereal, etc. Do the salt water rinse after you eat.

Heal quick

Here are some soft food suggestions just in case:

thank you for letting me know. I am going on my 2nd day now since my tooth got out and I am hoping today will be much better for me. I pretty well slept yesterday off. I was just so tired of eating pudding all the time and read that since yogurt has live cultures its not good for that to get near the healing area. :)

Back