• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Depression and Living With Dentures

D

depress62

i have had depression problems all my adult life,for me to live with having dentures is a problem that i cannot seem to live with.i already have low self esteem,but i know eventually it will break me down seeking psychological advice i know in my heart will not help me,i am totally and utterly at my lowest ebb at the minute the problem just consumes my whole life can u help!!

Re: depression and living with dentures

I've moved this to the Support section, where you might get some better replies.

I have had my share of depression and knows what it feels like. You need to see a doctor, explain how you feel and see if he will prescribe Flouroxetine (prozac) or Citalopram which can help to make you feel better. Having someone to talk to is the key to breaking this and psychological advice can help take the emotional pain away.

Please give it a try. It can help.

i have had depression problems all my adult life,for me to live with having dentures is a problem that i cannot seem to live with.i already have low self esteem,but i know eventually it will break me down seeking psychological advice i know in my heart will not help me,i am totally and utterly at my lowest ebb at the minute the problem just consumes my whole life can u help!!

Did you just get your dentures? Or are you going to get them? Partial dentures or full dentures?

You should be getting used to them slowly if you have recently gotten them. I know it's a shock and really depressing. But as time goes on, it won't be such a big deal.

I know how it feels to have low self-esteem -- anything new that stresses you out breaks you down more. I understand completely, I am the same way.

Just remember to give it all some time, you will get used to things. You will start feeling more like your normal self after a while.

Talk to some people on the board who have gotten dentures and ask them for advice on any issues you need help with.

I know local dental schools in my area offer implants for about half the price that a regular dentist charges. So, when my income improves, I will probably start going there to have a few implants in. So there are probably dental schools in your area too, just ask around and look around for one. They offer dental work at the schools for about 50% of what a regular dentist would charge.

That way you can look forward to getting implants and look forward to the day when you can have implants to either hold your dentures in place, or to replace your teeth in full.

Back