• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Its Tomorrow!

Yay! all done for 6 months :) just waiting for hospital appointment now

hey there

just wanted to say well done on your treatments,and regarding waiting for a hospital referral,i have been there!

i was referred to nhs hospital for extractions under GA in November last year,i finally heard from the maxofacial unit in May this year,but they told me they are so busy they couldnt give me a date for the procedure.

When i told my dentist she was amazed and referred me to another dentist but it meant i would be awake,so when they contacted me i refused treatment,and that dentist told me you know the waiting list for nhs is up to 2yrs!!!!!

3 days after that call I had a letter with a date for my surgery which took place on 20th july 2010,so all in all i had a wait of around 8months or so from the original referral being sent.

A friend of mine was waiting 2 years with an open infection from a botched extraction in the end they referred her to bupa as she had been waiting so long

I hope you get a reply soon so you can complete your journey

I was told by the dentist that there is a 5 month wait for the treatment, but I should hear back from them soon to have the initial assessment and xray.

I questioned why I'd not heard anything from the hospital with the dentist yesterday and he said it was the summer period so I'm giving it until September and then call him again if I've not had the assessment letter by then.

Hmm I'm not sure how things work where you live. My dentist refered me to an oral surgeon. Some have private offices where they can do the GA out of the hospital. Like I said this may vary from place and what the surgery is for.

Congratulations on your progress.

the english nhs hospitals do take a lot of time to reply hahahaha

when they finally contacted me in May i had to go in for an examination,they took xrays discussed what was going to happen and sent me off to get an appointment from the day ward

they were the ones who came and told me they couldnt give me any idea of when the procedure would be done as the operating list was full and i would have to wait for something to come in the post.

had 2 go for pre assessment the next week(end may) to make sure i was all healthy and get swabbed for mrsa i asked the nurse there what the waiting list was like and she told me it should be done by the end of june.

mid june i got a phone call to say there was a cancellation could i make it in the nxt day but i was such a wimp i bottled out lol,then the letter came and it was for same day i was going on hols!!!!

and just as the nurse had said, it was the end of june,they then postponed it til i got back on 20th july as they said they have a turn around period of a cpl months from the assessment,as this is government rules

I guess if we'd have opted to pay privately it would all have been done within a cpl weeks lol.

Are you also in the uk?

Yes I'm in Solihull, I'm just going to wait it out. I would think if I were to go private they would do it more or less straight away too.

Back