• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Its Tomorrow!

F

fearofdentist

Well two weeks have gone quite quickly since I telephoned to make my first appointment in around 30 years and it is for 9.15 tomorrow morning.

All sorts keep running through my head, I keep telling myself that I am in charge here and I'm not going to let him do anything I don't want him to do, but so have a fear of what he will tell me, what needs to be done, what it will cost, will it be painful, how long the treatment will last, what happens if something goes wrong during treatment.

I'm beginning to feel terrified again, I hope when I get to the door that I am able to walk in there and not chicken out.

God help me and the dentist

J

Keep up with the positive thinking. It shows courage to make that appointment after all those years for you and your dental health. Of course you're going to ponder and worry about the "what ifs" of the appointment, and it's ok to be scared. Just remember to think acknowledge the steps you are taking now and have good thoughts for tomorrow. Best wishes for you tomorrow! :jump:

You have passed the worst bit actually plucking up the courage to make the appointment.

If its any help I came off the phone and cried, I was so relieved I finally had plucked up the courage to make the appointment.

The dentist will go at your pace and it is a check up so keep thinking its only 15/20 mins and they will not do anything except look.

If they do not know already, just make them aware that you are a nervous patient and dont try to be brave, it just makes your nerves worse and makes you even more tense.

When I went into the surgery I felt as if my whole body was shaking but I got through it and so can u!!!!!!

:grouphug:

If you think of EVERYTHING that has to be done, it'll be overwhelming and terrifying. But if you break it down into manageable steps - as tiny as you need them to be - it'll be easier.

So for example, just focus on getting to the dentist. Once you've accomplished that then sitting in the chair.... etc etc.

This technique has been working for me.

Also, focus on the end result: your beautiful healthy smile. Each appointment/procedure is a necessary evil you have to endure to get there.

When i went to my Dentist my legs felt like jelly and legs were shaking.

Dave.:redface:

You will have had your appointment by now(hopefully) I do hope you are o.k and remember it's all small steps, small steps are o.k , this fear we have is all consuming and can be disabling of the mind and body.I know for me, shaky legs, well shaky everything made even getting there difficult.:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug: it's the need to get the treatment that will hopefully spur you on.

I managed to get to the dentist, and walk through the door sit on the chair and get the examination over ;-)

I've been told I need an extraction of a wisdom tooth at hospital which I am being referrred to. I also need 3 fillings and 2 hours of deep cleaning.

Then I can get a x-ray to see if any more work needs doing. But feel a little more confident after getting over that initial visit.

:jump:
One step at a time!!
J

It is one step at a time, that's all you need to concentrate on.You've done so well to go through with it as that 1st appointment is always so scary.You are doing something now about the condition of your teeth and your overall health, taking back control, well done :jump::jump::jump:.

Well done!!!!!!!!!

You hve taken the first step and must feel brilliant about your achievement!!!!!

Keep up the good work and remember we are all here for you!!!!:jump::jump::jump:

Just got back from my first treatment at the dentist using the scaler. At the end the dentist did a polish to show me what it was like.

I'm going back tomorrow for more of the same, and he recommended I have a injection to numb the area as there is a lot of tartar to come off. Got to have one for the fillings I have next week anyway so may just go for it.

My gums are all red now though, and start bleeding when I brush them although the dentist said this is ok.

Still feel like I got somewhere today, which I would never have dreamed I could do in a million years. (Well 30 anyway)

J
PS It's still tomorrow!! - Another step!

Good luck for tommorow

Remember how far you have come in a short space of time, would you have thought that you would even have let a dentist polish you teeth ???

Keep us posted

Hi fearofdentist

That is awesome! Well done! It must feel great to having faced down a terror and come through. It will only get better. Your triumph will encourage many others. Thanks for the update. :jump:

Blessings :)

I had the local injection today, after the dentist applied some gel to my gum first. I said I did not want to see the needle so closed my eyes, could just about feel the prick of needle but was ok, did not feel anything going in.

I'm still numb now though, told it could last up to 4 hours. Still two down and two to go, assuming x-rays are all ok.

Still got to get 3 fillings done though, that will be the test!

Next visit on Tuesday next week.

J

Faced The Drill today, and managed to get 2 fillings done and survived :)

One more visit on Thursday for another filling and an xray. Hope x ray comes back ok then all I have to really worry about is the hospital at some point to get 3 sets of wisdom teeth roots out. That bit I'm not looking forward to.

Now teeth are not the best I don't think quite goofy looking crooked and overlapping at the front so don't know what needs to be done here, dentist did not say anything about that though!

J

You are doing so well, congratulations :jump:

Go you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOu are doing really really well!!!!!!!

YOu have faced your fear and are doing great!!!!!!!!!

If you are having your wisdom teeth out at the hospital then you will probably be having a ga!!!!! which means you will be sleep throught!!!!!!

Bet you are really proud of yourself and cannot believe how far you hve come in such a short period of time!!!!!!!!!!:XXLhug::XXLhug::jump::jump::jump:

Readergirl41 it is more just the roots to come out from wisdom teeth, told I can have IV sedation in back of hand and that I will be awake and able to communicate with dentist but feel so relaxed that I will not worry about what is going on around me. Not sure about GA, this option was not mentioned by dentist.

Still waiting to hear from the hospital though, as it has now been over two weeks since I was referred there. I'm told these things can take time up to 5 months!!!

I go in for what will be my final visit today for another filling and xray. So now just have to hope that does not show any further problems and work needed

Will have to look at getting teeth whitened, but read that gums have to heal first they are red from where the tar tar used to be, treating this with corsodyl dental gel at moment once they turn pink eventually I will look more into this.

I also need to find somewhere that will fix goofy crookied and overlap front teeth, not sure where to go for that - and what the costs will be. Also I have two gaps where the roots are being removed at each side. Only option I am told is a partial denture or implants at 2k a time as other wisdom teeth are not straight enough to hold a bridge when I asked about that.

Still feel I've come a long way to get where I am after 30 years of going nowhere near a dentist, at least all that guck has been removed now. :) :) :)

J

you should be excited especially on the final day since the result will be visible and be clear. So good luck to you and cheers!:thumbsup:

Back