• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just booked my first appointment and I'm so scared and embarrassed!

Thanks ReaderGirl

My appts at 8.30 in the morning so I'm trying to think now that in less than 14 hours it'll all be over and I'll know more about what needs to happen next. I've been worrying about what the dentist will tell me but then the worrying I've done for over a decade has probably done me more damage than an actual sound diagnosis!

I wish you luck for your trip to the dentists on Monday and will be thinking of you! Well done for coming this far, you and so many others on this forum are my inspiration. I just wish I'd found this site years ago!

I'll update tomorrow at some stage when it's all over!

:hidesbehindsofa:

:-*will be checking for your post!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember toothache is a lot lot worse than the tratment and if u are not happy with the dentist you can try another one!!!!

Remember you are checking them out as much as they are checking u ouit!!!!:-*

Hiya! It was actually ok! I did it! I was so scared and the dentist didn't talk much but I was ok with that as I wouldn't have taken much in anyway! He said he was more worried about my gums than my teeth and urged me to not hide anymore as I'd be at risk of losing my teeth...ouch! :( On the plus side though he said I actually have quite good teeth and I only require one filling and a deep clean and polish! Once he's got all the scale off he said I may need one or two other fillings but its not as bad as I thought it'd be! Booked in for filling and clean next Thursday with nitrous oxide sedation. Will cross that bridge when I come to it. So relieved...I also treated myself to a nice new lipstick! Woo hoo! :)

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knew you could do it!!!!!!!

just kep going!!!!!!!!! - its better than extreme toothache isnt it

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Kee up posted with regards to your next appointment

:jump: Good for you!!

I'm so glad it went so well! Isn't it a huge relief? It really does get a little easier with each visit.

Thanks guys!

:-*

Wow, the relief is huge! One step at a time and feel nervous about next Thursday but to be honest it was the thoughts of the 'diagnosis' that had kept me awake at night for the last decade or so...I hope I'm ok with the treatment itself...I think I'll be ok...the fear of the unknown is worse I think!

I'll be back nearer to Thursday I think! But for now I think this is well earned:

:sleepyjuice:

My appointment for my scale, polish and filling is tomorrow... :cry:

I really thought I'd be better about it and I wasn't really that worried till yesterday...now I've got all kinds of worries running through my head. My main worry is that I have three teeth that are not feeling too stable and I'm worried that if the cleaning process is rough or aggressive that they might knock one of them out...the dentist pressed quite hard on one of my teeth the other day during the check up...if he pressed that hard on one of the three that don't feel great I'm scared of what might happen...:o

I just want it all to be over with...soooo tired of worrying....

You'll do fine. :XXLhug: Tell them about the teeth you're worried about. I'm sure they can be careful with those.

:):):):)YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!!

Remember it is worse before you go to the appointment than the actual appointment itself!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep remembering the pain of really bad toothache that what kept me going on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay I was really nervous but I made it and so will uyou!!!!!

I look forward to hearing how it all went tomorrow!!!!!!

Be thinking of you :hug2::hug2::hug2:Oh and if it with nitrous oxide the only thing to worry about is the giggiling you will be doing and if you were like me the rubbish you are talking!!!!

Last edited:
Bubble, just a suggestion - if your dentist is more worried about your gums than your teeth, you might start drinking lots of orange or pineapple juice every day, because gums desperately need vitamin c to be healthy - and that might be why 3 or your teeth aren't feeling stable. Try and make a routine of a glass of juice a few times a day, or at least one every morning and then vitamin c supplements. Vitamin c only remains in your body for about 3 hours and is destroyed by smoking, pollution, stress, and in many other ways, so we have to keep getting it into us regularly to ensure we have enough. Your gums will start responding within weeks, I promise.

Yes, yes, yes..pineapple juice!!! I swear that's what healed my gums so quickly after my extractions!!!

The benefits of pinapple juice are pretty well documented, I'm supposed to have eye lid surgery and the surgeon told me to drink it plus use Arnica found at health food stores to reduce bruising

.... here's some info on the juice:
Pineapples: Nature's Healing Fruit
By Monique N. Gilbert, B.Sc.

Want to give your body a boost in health and healing? Then you may want to add some fresh pineapple and pineapple juice to your diet. Pineapples are nutritionally packed members of the bromeliad family. This delightful tropical fruit is high in the enzyme bromelain and the antioxidant vitamin C, both of which plays a major role in the body's healing process.

Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory that has many health benefits and encourages healing. According to Dr. Andrew Weil, bromelain is very effective in treating bruises, sprains and strains by reducing swelling, tenderness and pain. This powerful anti-inflammatory effect can also help relieve rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and reduce postoperative swelling. Additionally, the bromelain contained in fresh pineapple can relieve indigestion. This enzyme helps break down the amino acid bonds in proteins, which promotes good digestion.

Pineapples provide an ample supply of vitamin C too, a commonly known antioxidant that protects the body from free radical damage and boosts the immune system. Vitamin C helps build and repair bodily tissue and promotes wound healing. The body uses vitamin C to help metabolize fats and cholesterol, absorb iron, and synthesize amino acids and collagen. Collagen is one of the primary building blocks of skin, cartilage and bones. Vitamin C also decreases the severity of colds and infections.

Furthermore, due to its high vitamin C content, pineapples are good for your oral health as well. A study conducted at the State University of New York at Buffalo found that vitamin C can reduce your risk of gingivitis and periodontal disease. Besides increasing the ability of connective tissue to repair itself, vitamin C also increases the body's ability to fight invading bacteria and other toxins that contribute to gum disease.

Hi guys! Thank you all so much for your support and advice, it means a lot, especially when sometimes you feel you have no one else to turn to. :respect:

Well, I'm now back from the dentists and it has certainly been an experience! Had sedation and that was fine...think the dentist knew I was scared and talked a lot more this time to distract me! The scale and polish was not the most wonderful experience in the world to be honest and there were a few moments where I wasn't sure I could carry on with it but I stuck with it and was fine in the end! None of my slightly wobbly teeth are any the worse for it either! Woo hoo!

He then headed straight onto the filling which was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I can honestly say I did not feel a thing! It felt a bit cold sometimes and he had to do a little work on reshaping it so it was a perfect fit, but perfect it is!

When we were all done I told him I was gonna rush home to look at my teeth, but he handed me a mirror there and then...seriously, I could have cried! The difference was unbelievable...all those dark brown and black stains on my teeth had gone!!!:yay:

I'm home now and I still have half a numb face so not able to practice the new smile yet but give it an hour or so and I'll have a beam that covers both sides rather than the wonky one I have now!

I cannot describe how happy I am right now...all those sleepless nights I've had...all the worry...all gone, thanks in part to you guys for helping me through it!:cloud9: Knowing I had your best wishes and backing with me helped so much!

Thank you!!!

:XXLhug:

Well done Bubble :respect::respect:

I'm never going to be able to get my teeth cleaned, nope, not going to happen.

Bubble !!!!!!!!

Well done:cloud9: bet you feel on cloud nine, so is that you finished?

:hidesbehindsofa:was you:jump::jump:you now!!!!!

Best wishes
Tracy

Well done Bubble!!! :jump: Doesn't it feel good to face your fears and win?! :respect:

Well done, thats great that you got through it.

Now your teeth are clean your gums can attach themselves back to the surface of your teeth and hold them much more securely.

:jump:

Bubble, just a suggestion - if your dentist is more worried about your gums than your teeth, you might start drinking lots of orange or pineapple juice every day, because gums desperately need vitamin c to be healthy - and that might be why 3 or your teeth aren't feeling stable. Try and make a routine of a glass of juice a few times a day, or at least one every morning and then vitamin c supplements. Vitamin c only remains in your body for about 3 hours and is destroyed by smoking, pollution, stress, and in many other ways, so we have to keep getting it into us regularly to ensure we have enough. Your gums will start responding within weeks, I promise.

Other good sources of vitamin C

Oranges, cranberry juice, tomatoes, green bell peppers, brocolli, and spinach.

Raisins have a natural enzyme wich aids in preventing bad bacteria in the mouth.

Cashews contain a natural. Anti inflammatory much like cortisol which helps prevent swelling. They also are high in vitamin E. The last thing I feel like doing with my teeth is eating nuts. I soak one quarter cup of raw cashews for 20 minutes, drain, place in a blender with 3/4 cup water, add spices for the flavor I want (usually salt, pepper, and onion, sometimes thyme and sage) blend until smooth, cook over medium heat until thick. Tastes like white gravy is great on mashed potatos, rice and brocolli, or toast.

Last edited:
Back