• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar extractions

T

the seeker

How many molars can one have extracted and still eat? I had my wisdom teeth removed 15 years ago (I'm 39 now). I had both top 2nd molars, 2 and 15, extracted 4 years ago. My dentist says I need to have the lower right 2nd molar, 18, extracted. And crowns on 30, 14, and 19. 30 and 3 don't need crowns or need to be extracted, but they do have cavities. Part of me thinks "Just yank 'em all." But how would I chew? Would keeping the 3rd molars be a good compromise? Oh yeah...no insurance...that's part of why extraction seems good...economical. And no more future maintenance if they are gone. Thanks!

Oh man, dangerous thinking seeker:

I'm missing all of my molars except one first molar on top left (#14) and one on the bottom right (#30), I can eat but it's one sided and not good. I'm also missing my pre-molars on the top rght. I'm having #30 extracted and 4 implants placed, two will act as bridges. So the goal is to "rebuild" me up to including the first molars. This didn't happen overnight, so never take losing a tooth lightly or as a cheap fix. In the end I am paying dearly as I can't /won't have dentures. I could buy a small house or a really nice car for the price of fixing my teeth, I'm talking mercedes here.

My issues since losing them:
TMJ with daily headaces, upper back and neck pain, ear aches
grinding - have ground down my front lowers something nasty.
a collapsed look- no vertical support so its aged me and added wrinkles.
wearing down the rest of my teeth
over-eruption above and below, that's why i'm losing #30 and I'm told #14 may not last long either.

I could have gotten an upper partial denture long ago, but that's a phobia all in itself.

Be careful.

rp

Thanks RP!

Of course the wisdom teeth weren't a big deal at all 15 years ago. Can't miss teeth that never protruded.

Losing 2 and 15...I didn't notice at all. Chewing or otherwise. Sorry you're having the probs you're having!

Maybe I'm taking this too lightly then.

What do you think...18 is a goner. Maybe I'll really notice its absence? Hold on to the rest if at possible? (31, which will my last 2nd molar, just has a small cavity).

My 3rd molars are in need of crowns. Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that the 3rd molars do 60% of the grinding.

I have a small mouth/jaw. I wonder how this relates/affects the problems correlated with tooth/teeth loss?

Luckily, my non-molar teeth are rel. healthy. Straight, white, pain free. So far...

third molars are wisdom teeth I think, I wouldn't crown them, second molars yes, absolutley. Ist molars guard them with your life. I'm missing 1,2,3,4,5,10 15,16, on top and 17,18,19, 29, 31, 32 how pitiful is that. I'm getting implants at 3 and 5, 19 and 30. 3,4,5 will be a bridge, 28,29,30 too. I'm 51

Oh yeah...you're right, 3rd molars are wisdom... I should have said 1st molars.

The 3rd molars...1,16,17, and 32... long gone. Extractions of 2 and 15... literally nothing changed (that I'm aware of), luckily for me. 18 is beyond saving. Oh well. Maybe I'm too flip about it, but I didn't miss 2 or 15. Maybe after it's gone, I'll be telling a different story.

Looking at the x-rays, it didn't look like 31 served much function. Pretty sure my dentist says it doesn't contact 3 very much. He seemed to be concerned about 30. Of the 3 teeth that needed crowns, I'm pretty sure 30 was the first priority.

Hmm...keeping those 1st molars seems like a smart goal for me!

Absolutely!:cheers:

I had to have my top two last molars extracted three years ago. So I have one molar on each top side. I did not have a problem at all with this. Eating isn't a big problem but it was a little hard to get used to and had to be careful how I chewed and not swallow something too large that slipped by.

I don't think it will be a problem for you.

My issue is I recently had to have number 13 extracted, three months ago. So I have my one molar a gap and then the other tooth. I had surgery for bone grafting to prepare for an implant as I don't want to lose my last upper molar or the other tooth. But I am getting by okay without it right now. I am considering not having the second implant surgery for the post. I won't write my stuff here as this is your post.

When I had my back two upper molars extracted no problems happened and no shifting of teeth or anything like that.

Good luck....

Star

Star,

You can write whatever you want in my post. Don't hijack my post! Just kidding.

I just have my 1st molars on both sides on top. 2 and 15 have been gone for 4 years and no probs.

Like I replied to RP - planning to keep 1st molars - top and bottom. As of right now anyways. I really wonder what it would be like not to have molars. Grind everyything with those pre-molars. I think RP's advice quelled that curiousity. :thumbsup:

Back