• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared about wisdom teeth coming through

D

Dissolved Girl

Hi there

I have only recently become phobic of the dentist (the last time i went was over a year and a half a go) and i am scared to go now.

Thing is i am scared to the point where if i think i might need work i have a panic attack. I have attacks over tooth ache or silly things like thinking a tooth is coming loose (when it really isn't). I pretty much over exaggerate everything in my mind.

I am scared to death that when my wisdom teeth come through they are going to cause me huge amounts of pain. I know they come through slow as well and because i have a panic attack even over tooth ache, the thought of them coming through causing me constant pain terrifies me. :cry:

It's so odd. I have been so phobic of my own teeth before where i have considered having them all removed so i don't have to deal with the pain or dentist work again.

Is the pain of wisdom teeth that bad? Can they be removed even if they are sticking out the gum a little?
I just want the buggers out as soon as they make an appearance! :(

Thanks
DG X

Hey DG -

I just had mine out. You don't really want to go through the pain of an extraction unless you have to - it's definitely an inconvenience.

If you can already see the bottoms of them they have already probably come through past the point of where they would cause you pain. It's when they DON'T come out of the gum that they're a real problem. You may not even have to have them out at all!

I know it's hard but if you can manage to get to the dentist, your dentist can be gentle with you and tell you if you need to get them out. After your visit you will have a clear idea of treatment and won't have to be afraid anymore.

Big hugs!

yeah my wisdom teeth are currently coming through, and i've had hardly any pain. theres a tiny tickle as they come through the gum, but as long as they are straight and normal, you should feel no pain :)

hope all goes well :)

Back