• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Awaiting the dentists to open so scared

P

Poppyskye

Morning, so im sat here awaiting 8:30 where i am going to beg my dentist for an appointment this morning. I went 5 days ago with pain and swollen gums only to be told my gums "were in good condition and everything fine" now i have had swollen gums and pain for 3 weeks now and 2 days ago they swelled up even more to the point that i can move the bits of gum between my teeth and underneath they are all puffy. My whole mouth feels so odd the only thing that relieves the pain is ice cream (thank god for Ben and Jerry's). Im hoping to see a different dentist at my surgery as the dentist i saw actually high fived his assistant while i was in there as they had a cancellation!! I seriously dont think he had a clu what he was doing and this as made me even more terrified of going today....what scares me more though is feeling like this forever. I cant remember the last time my gums looked or felt normal or i wasnt in pain.
Sorry for the ramble just feeling very alone and scared.

Oh Poppyskye, I just logged on after 2 days and noticed that no one had answered your post yet.
:cry:
I sure hope the appointment went ok and that you saw a dentist who knew what he was doing! (A high-5 wouldn't impress me much, either!) Please let us know how you're feeling and what the outcome was.

Not sure I can do this....

Morning everyone, well todays the day i have a dentist appointment booked in for ten to twelve....My hands are sweating and Im not sure I can do this although the pain im currently in is killing me.

I basically got told at my last visit that i needed a filling re done. At the time it wasnt causing me any pain at all even though some of the filling has cracked and also a bit of my tooth has chipped off (Its a molar at the back). I was too scared to go to the appointment...3 months on and oh how the pain has started...Ive been told that because my treatment was supposed to be 3 months ago they wont book me in for treatment so i have to have a check up all over again. So thats today. The thought that im not going to get any pain relief and they wont even do anything today makes me want to cry. I know this is my fault, I have always always been scared of the dentist since i was little and they ripped out 4 baby teeth...I reckon they are going to say root canal or out. I can deal with a root canal but if they say it has to come out well i not sure i can do that....I had a tooth out a few years agao and it was traumatic to say the least. They couldnt get the roots out so i had to wait a week and go back to an oral surgeon who spent an hour (with me awake) pulling and cracking with all her might. I spent the evening pacing my flat I was in that much pain, had stiches in my mouth, my whole inside of my mouth was covered in sores and i then got an infection of the bone. I lost half a stone and it took me about 2 months to feel normal again. I cant do that again.....Oh god so scared...and i have a different dentist seeing me...im worried about her reaction and how bad it might be it could be absyysed no idea.

Sitting hear shaking, any words of support would be great right now, anyone else have a dreaded appointment today?:o Thanks for listening xx

Re: Not sure I can do this....

Awwww...I'm so sorry that you are scared, just try to relax and not worry...I hope this new dentist is awesome! Women seem to be more tuned in to your feelings. Just let her know how scared you are (that is what I did) and she will understand!

Let us know how it went!!
:hug2:

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I know exactly how you feel. I had traumatic experiences as well. It makes you lose faith in dentists. Please do not. There will be someone out there that understands. If you are not 100% comfortable leave. I am looking for a new dentist now. Mine is just to pushy with cosmetic things. I am very anxious doing so but I am looking. I did that years ago with a consult at an oral surgeons. I did not like him at all so I left and did not go back. I found someone else years and years later. I waited to long. At least you are going. You should be proud. I know it is scary. If you need a tooth pulled go to someone experienced. Ask for a valium or such before hand. Use IV sedation if possible. You are in control and have to be at ease. Please let me know how it goes. My thoughts are with you.

I agree with queenoffear!!
My first dentist, was really only interested in getting pricey cosmetic things done for top dollar. In fact, he really didn't help with my fear....his staff did MORE to ease my fears than he did!!
My current dentist is a GEM!!! I just started seeing him in April, and both HE and his STAFF are great!! He talks to me like I'm an old friend, and has a GREAT chairside manner!!! I was hesitant looking around for another dentist, but I'm glad I did!! He also saved me a lot of money!!
The moral of this post is.....if something doesn't feel right about the dentist (or any healthcare professional, for that matter) you're seeing.....shop around, look for another. Remember, the dentist WORKS for you, NOT the other way around!!
Good luck!!
Take care.
:hug2:'s!

Back