• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chair position

This is a huge issue for me. As a child, I was forcibly held down in the chair so even now as an adult I am very sensitive about this. I can only tolrerate gping back a little ways. Fortunately Dr. Katy is very understanding about this and knows just how far I can tolerate and doesnt try to push it. This means that simetimes she has to be standing up instead of siting down but she doesnt mind.

Hi,

Getting tilted back i the chair makes me feel dizzy. I find myself hanging on the the armrests for dear life. I also get a dreadful feeling that i'm going to slide off. :redface:

My dentist has so far not done that to me, and I’m glad that he has not.
He did it with mom when I was with her last week and she does not have any dental fears at all. She anyway got the question if she was ok which she replied “whatever makes the job more compatible for you”...
If I had said that my dentist would have been in shock :rolleyes:

However, when I needed to extract one of my upper wisdom teeth he made the chair go high up in the air. He is a tall man and since he needed to stand up in order to extract the tooth faster I felt I was 2 meters above the floor. I felt a bit unease, but it all happened so fast. The tooth was out and I was back on the ground before I knew it.

I hate when they put the chair all the way back. I feel like I'm going to swallow my tongue! :o

At my last dental appt. they were trying to be so careful because they knew how terrified I was. So I get in the chair, and they set it back somewhat and then something lets go and they nearly dropped me on my head!!!

I could tell for a second there that they were more terrifed than me!!!

Good Grief!! I can just picture that YIKES!!!

What is the best chair position for someone who wants to avoid gagging?

Will sitting up make me less gag sensitive or more gag sensitive? While I don't like laying back, I wonder if that actually helps me be less gag sensitive. But then I have never sat up during a procedure.

I think the chair is put farther back when the dentist fills my teeth than when the hygienist cleans my teeth. And when my teeth were pulled, I don't think I was as far back.

I don't like being so far back either, but if the best position for gagging is back, then so be it. If not, then I should change. I even wonder if laying flat is better than a slight angle.

Thoughts?

What is the best chair position for someone who wants to avoid gagging?

Will sitting up make me less gag sensitive or more gag sensitive? While I don't like laying back, I wonder if that actually helps me be less gag sensitive. But then I have never sat up during a procedure.

I think the chair is put farther back when the dentist fills my teeth than when the hygienist cleans my teeth. And when my teeth were pulled, I don't think I was as far back.

I don't like being so far back either, but if the best position for gagging is back, then so be it. If not, then I should change. I even wonder if laying flat is better than a slight angle.

Thoughts?

Hmm interesting question. I haven't read anything that talks about chair position and it's effect on gagging but it's a worthy question. I know in my case, I feel less sensitive to gagging during fillings (when the chair is further back) than during cleanings but I always thought it may be a direct result of the toothpaste/water triggering something in me and maybe the numbing sensation during fillings is odd enough to distract me from gagging. But perhaps that's not the case??? There is a substantial difference between the 2 procedures though that range from not thinking about gagging at all to consciously concentrating on controlling it. The only thing I know about controlling gagging is breathing through your nose helps substantially but I'm sure different positions have to produce some effects???

@K-Bird, oh my goodness! your experience with the chair falling back on you must have been a quite startling one! I suppose ANY position would be comparatively better than that! When the staff look equally or more fearful than the patient, it is NEVER a good sign! Lol I once had a dentist come up behind me and recline the chair (without warning) while I was talking with the dental assistant in the room and even that caught me off guard, so I can't imagine flying backwards out of nowhere! I think that she figured I'd be distracted by the assistant and maybe not notice I was moving backwards??? well regardless of her intentions, I did notice and I did not appreciate it.

I have COPD - I have a difficult time breathing, esp on my back. Does the dentist HAVE to lay me in a back position?

I have COPD - I have a difficult time breathing, esp on my back. Does the dentist HAVE to lay me in a back position?

These days dentists are pretty flexible and CAN accommodate patients who prefer to sit up for issues associated with fears or medical purposes or otherwise. In your case, I don't see how a dentist would not accommodate you; I would certainly request it and explain your difficulty with breathing and they can usually work around laying down or at least all the way back. Airway is any and every health professional's number 1 priority.

I'm absolutely terrified of being laid back in the chair. It gives me the creeps and I a feel a horrible sense of loss of control overwhelming me when I'm tipped back in the chair. I used to have a really nice hygienist named Laura that was very kind but the only complaint I have against her is that she would tip the chair past 180 degrees which would send me into panic mode and I felt very vulnerable and trapped in that position. I also felt like I was going to fall off of the chair. I much prefer sitting up in the chair and I feel like I have a lot more control. Having nitrous really helps with laying back in the chair. When laid back in the chair I just start to freak out I don't know why but I just do. I don't feel like I can move which stresses me out and I feel very susceptible. Being tipped back anywhere above 180 doesn't bug me but when I tipped at 180 or higher I absolutely hate it. I also just dislike being in the chair in general.

This is my first post on this site, but I wanted to post b/c I think that I have something to add to this thread that has not already been mentioned. Given my intense fear of dental situations, I would have thought that I would prefer to be sitting up. And, the first time I went to my current dentist and I was lying all the way down, I was very confused and extremely uncomfortable. However, I now find the lying flat (even past 180 degrees) most comfortable for 2 reasons. The first is that I live with chronic lower back pain which means that I am much more comfortable physically lying flat than I could ever be sitting up in a chair. The second is that, I tend to have vasovagal reactions from dental injections -- I actually fainted on 1 occasion. I realized, after starting to go to my current dentist, that lying flat -- or beyond 180 degrees (especially during injections) significantly lessens the vasovagal response. At least I know that, in that position, it is nearly impossible to faint which lessens one of my fears.

Thanks for all of the great info and support on this site! I have visited many times and reading the posts has really helped me get through some difficult dental situations.

K-bird i could not agree with you more!!!!!!!!!! :devilish: but ive never really had a choice in the chair position but i agree with what alot of people are saying i dont really like having the chair tipped back because then i dont have an escape if i need one because there is a person leaning over my head with their hand in my mouth!!!! but if it were up to me and it meant no problems in the future or anything i wouldnt go at all! :devilish:

I would rather not be in the chair at all!

I discovered at my check up today, that I'm fine lying flat for the exam, but for cleaning I prefer being more upright, as it stops me gagging/choking quite so much.

Although, I'd prefer simply not having to go near the chair. Can't dental offices be like, I dunno, coffee shops or somewhere not scary?

What a great topic! Thanks for creating this.

There are only two times when I mind laying flat in the chair. (1) When they don't immediately vacuum out dental work debris, which makes me salivate too much, and then I have just entirely too much stuff in my mouth, which makes me feel that I'm drowning. (2) When the last dentist swabbed on the numbing stuff on my gum prior to injection he would slather it around heavily and sloppily, and it would end up going down my throat - making me panic that I couldn't feel my throat and felt I wasn't breathing correctly. If I wasn't laying down for that, I could have kept it from going down my throat (ideally they should have vacuumed out the excess topical.) I would have to sit up until I could get the sensation back in my throat.

Having said that, one dentist had a chair that actually pointed my head so far down that it was below the rest of my body. That was just terrible. Freaked me out in a big way. Felt like the blood was all rushing to my head. YUCK! It was only an exam, but could never have handled a real treatment in that position.

Otherwise, I don't mind having to lay back for the dental work.

I am not comfortable laying back in the chair as I have an arthritic spine - nuff said.
A dentist I went to a few months ago suddenly dropped the back of the chair without
warning me. Not only did I wonder where I was going but it was extremely painful.

Needless to say I did not visit her again.

I hate lying down at 180 degrees, to me this is one of the worst parts of the visit and one reason I put off having certain work done. About halfway between 90 and 180 would be good for me.

Biggest problem is saliva and water start dripping down my throat. I can't swallow with all the instruments in my mouth and am afraid I will gag. Whatever they put in my mouth to suck up the water doesn't help a bit when it is in my throat. I'm starting to have an anxiety attack thinking about it. Someone earlier asked position is best to prevent gagging. I think it is sitting more upright. At least for me because this way I can swallow more easily than when I am lying down.

The other biggest problem is that I suffer from a vertigo disorder and being in this position makes me feel so much more on the edge of vertigo. I am so afraid I will get an attack lying like this. I think it has something to do with looking at the ceiling and not having a real good visual reference for what is where.

My previous dentist said he couldn't work on me unless I was in the bad position. That was torture. I switched to someone else who had no problem with that but said for some teeth he may have to lay me back a little more. He has now left the practice and I have to see his former partnet. I don't know how he will be with me not being able to lie down.

I hate to lay back in the chair. It really freaks me out!! Im actually looking for a dentist in the chicagoland area who dont mind standing while doing their work. If anyone know of a dentist, please let me know.:)

thanks

Typically I'm laying back in the chair, but I don't prefer it. Laying back makes me feel more vulnerable and dizzy/light headed.

I tried sitting up once. I had a deep cleaning done and I had nitrous oxide. Next time I'll probably ask them to lay me back more. It's hard to keep the mask on if you are sitting too much upright.

I can put up with laying back, if it means that my dentist can work properly. If it's going to potentially cause a problem with my treatment to be sitting up then it's fine if I lay back.

Back