• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How will a gap between crowns be fixed?

E

Ennazus

Hi,

My 4 front teeth are all crowns which I got approx 9 years ago. Quite a large gap has formed between them and there seems to be yet another gap forming. I have terrible anxiety when it comes to visiting the dentist and am worried I will have to get them all replaced. The crowns themselves seem to be fine, my gums however are quite swollen, could an infection be the cause of the gaps? how will this be fixed?

Any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

could they be shifting/drifting from bone loss/gum disease? Have you seen a dentist lately?

It has been quite some time. I am planning on making an appointment in the next week or so. I have had a nearby tooth extracted could this be the cause of the shift? I am anxious to find out how the gap will be fixed, the crowns seem to be in good condition, my only problem is the shifting and inflamation of the gums.

Thanks for your response.

I developed a rather large gap bewtween my front teeth. If you have some bone loss and the teeth have "mobility" they will shift more after an extractiion as they have more room to roam. The critical thing is to find out why. Mine is due to a bad bite and trauma of the lower teeth hitting the upper. I'm told that's a couple hundred pounds of pressure slamming those upper teeth. I have a temporary bridge that spans the front teeth to close the gap and a splint across the back to try and stop the movement. I also had a frenulectomy done, which is surgical removal of the little piece of tissue between the front teeth this was not helping the gap. (Really not as traumatic as it sounds done with laser) I have a long sob story in my journal- My life-long battle your welcome to read. My next step is an orthotic to fix the bite then new crowns to keep it that way.

hope that helps, a denitist could come by and tell me I'm all wrong too, just my personal experience.

Back