• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth pulled with just Novocaine.

K

Kings20

I found out today I need my wisdom teeth pulled. My gum swelled up and I had yellow discharge because the gum behind my lower right wisdom tooth got infected. This was the first time with this dentist because of insurance changing. He said I could just get the 2 right wisdom teeth pulled but eventually I will probably get the same issues on the left side, so he recommended pulling all 4.

The dentist does it at his office and said he just uses novacaine. Does it hurt with only getting novacaine? Is there a big difference between novacaine and being put under? I would rather just do it with novacaine but I am nervous that it will hurt more. Also I asked if the infection will spread and get worse and they said no, does that sound right?

Can someone please explain if it hurts and how long it takes(office manager said all 4 would only take like 45 minutes?)

Also I seem to be more nervous about after the pulling because I have heard it is painful and dry socket is easy to get.

Hi

I will do my best to answer your questions.

Having wisdom teeth extracted with a local is very common and routine. Even with IV sedation the local is used to make sure the area is numb so you will not feel any discomfort. IV sedation is your call because the local does the job of numbing. It does add significantly to the cost but if your anxiety is very high it can be a good option. You could also ask about having Nitrous Oxide or Oral sedation.

Having extractions done with a local is not painful. The new local anesthetics work very well. Infections tend to stay confined to the area of the tooth. Since it has a chance to drain this is better. The dentist can give you a course of antibiotics to take care of the infection if they feel it is necessary.

All 4 can be done in that time period since it sounds like they are going to be routine. Dry socket is not much of a problem as long as you follow the extraction after care instructions.

These types of procedures are very common and routine. You will do great.

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure if my wisdom teeth are impacted, like they have all fully come above the gum but they are just alot shorter than normal teeth. And the bottom right where it is infected there is like a piece of gum covering the end of the tooth. Im calling to make the app today, I just hope since I can see all the teeth that they will be easier to take out.

I also forgot to mention that im like 90% sure I have TMJ, will this have any affect on the procedure?

Last edited:
Hi

If they are showing then they are not impacted. Impacted teeth have not erupted from the gums. In either case they are not difficult to remove. Impacted take just a bit longer.

TMD should not have any effect on the procedure. If you are having problems with your TMJ you can talk with your dentist about it.

This should go quickly and easily.

So my app is next Tuesday. Im just worried since I have an infection in the gum area(its swelling and there is a yellowish smelly discharge) is it normal for them to not give antibiotics? They said they would give antibiotics most likely after they are pulled but I keep reading about infections spreading and lessening the effectiveness of novacaine?

If the infection is draining, no worries. The newer anesthetics are less susceptible to ph changes. You should be able to get numb easily. Tooth abscesses tend to stay confined to the local area. Once it is removed you will be fine. They might give you a dose of antibiotics or they might not.

You will be fine. Stay away from "Dr. Google," lots of mis-information. Trust your dentist.

So my app is tmrw and I am really nervous and anxious. I went into the dentist today because I was gonna ask for and oral sedative. Instead they gave me a mouth wash that I use tonight and in the morning, Vicodin, ibuprofen, and amoxicillin that I started today. The people at the front said if I want I can take a Vicodin in the morning im guessing to calm me and help with pain.

So I ended up not getting anything done today. I went in and when they gave me 2 novacaine shots my gums started bleeding. I am on medicine for blood pressure so the dentist advised that I see my doctor and take a blood test. I am going to the doctor today cause I have no idea why I bleed with the shots(first time its ever happened). The dentist also suggested if the bleeding persist that i get it done by an oral surgeon who can stop the bleeding better(thats what he said?) SO after being a nervous wreck for days nothing gets done ugh.

Just to add since I didn't get anything done the dentist advised me to stop taking the antibiotic, I have only take 3 pills(one day worth). Im guessing I will re start them when I know its safe to pull em.

Back