• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I worked myself up for nothin!

R

Ryan

I can't belive I found this place - it's amazing! I feel like a MASSIVE weight has been lifted just reading through all the shared stories and how similar they are to my own! This is the start of a big turnaround for me!

I've had a fear for dentists since I was about 6 or 7 when had a very traumatic first dental experience in which I made sure the dentist shared as much pain as me! (he was lucky to leave with his thumb still attached!)
Since then I've probably seen the dentist every 5 years or so and only when I've been suffering with toothache. And so the downward spiral began and I'm now 27 and my back teeth are in bad shape!

Anyway, I had a dentist appointment booked for this afternoon and I was on the verge of ringing them and canceling it because I was too ashamed and scared about my oral health.

Looking for reassurance, I googled my fears and found this site and after reading the advice and stories I was filled with courage and positive energy!

I was just about to leave my house when my phone rang - it was my dentist! Was I late? No, she had rung to tell me that they didn't have the supplies hadn't arrived and my appointment had been canceled until next week! Bloody typical! I had been building myself up all day for nothing! lol

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to next weeks appointment thanks to this site! It may take a few years but with the encouragement and advice offered here I know I'll find the strength to overcome my fear and embarresment!

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I 100% agree with you, this place is awesome and has changed my life. I'm so glad you found some strength and encouragment here and we look forward to offering you ongoing support.

Keep us posted on how that appointment goes!

rp

Ok. Had an extraction today about 3 hours ago and it was nothing! Half-way through he asked me if I wanted a break and I managed to get a definte "no!" out of my mouth which he laughed at! I'll admit that I'm in a bit of discomfort at the moment but I know I'll get through it with painkillers.

But overall I'm really pleased. I went in smiling and bright, I let him get on with the job and I shook his hand when I left. After that I could have just left the surgeory for another 5 years but I waited for several minutes at reception to book another appointment for next week! :jump:

This has always been a tough issue for me to deal with but I'm finally doing it! I'm taking back control of my health for good, no matter what the pain or cost!

Good for you Ryan! :respect:

This site is just awesome..so many great people who give everyone so much support. :)

Well done Ryan. Just found this site myself, so at least I can vent to people who really do understand. For so long i've not been taken seriously and now i've found you all.

Hope you are comfortable after yesterday Ryan.

Thanx. The pain isnt too bad today but my jaw aches every time I open my mouth! I havn't smoked a cigarette in 55 hours! I'm not supposed to smoke for the next 2 days either so I might use this opportunity to quit for good!

Go for it Ryan, I did it in early April, (2 pack a day smoker for 35 years) life is so much better without the smokes and I'm saving a ton of money.

The hardest part is the first week, you are half way through......:respect:

rp

Back