• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower Denture Put In

G

gabby899

I am in the process of getting my bottom teeth removed and fitted for immediate dentures. I am very afraid of the whole situation. I have had lots of dental work done, but my teeth are so bad, that I only have the front bottom 6 teeth left. I have had the first impressions made, and go back August 3rd for the wax fitting? The dentist I am going to is fairly nice, except when it comes to extractions. He was patient and wonderful during my last visit in which he did 3 root canals and some fillings on the top, but I also had to have a molar removed that day, and it just freaks me out to have teeth pulled, the pressure and noise scare me. He got very impatient with me. I went back 3 days ago to have my 3 new crowns put in where he did the root canals, and just him popping the temporary teeth out hurt and he wasn't nice about it at all. My gums were very sore from the temp teeth to begin with still, and he just got aggrivated with me because i was nervous. It worries me about getting the 6 removed as they do not provide being put to sleep or laughing gas. I am also very worried after reading all of the posts that they will not fit or look right. I understand i will have to have them adjusted, but I am a hairdresser and I work with the public everyday. I do not want them to fall out or not being able to talk right. I read to use bonding for them, but how soon after i have them pulled can I use it? Any Advice for a very nervous 39 yr old mom of 3?:confused::hidesbehindsofa:

Re: Immediate lower denture fear!

Thank you all for your comments. I drive an hour and a half just to see him, because we have a medical card. My husbands dental insurance wont cover dentures until January and I really can't wait that long. :( At my last visit he told me i am only making it hard on myself, because if i think it's going to hurt it will. It is hard to find a new dentist with state insurance. There is another Dentist in the office that did my consultation, I think I may ask if he can do my extractions for me and see him from now on. I am severly afraid of the dentist and everything they do, hence why my teeth are in bad shape. I am definately going to ask for something to relax me because i will not be able to handle it otherwise. Does anyone know if I will bruise? I am having my 6 lower front teeth done, so yes i think I will have to ask for some time off, at least a couple of days. Again thank you all.:drool:

So I had my teeth pulled on Wednesday and they put the dentures in right after. They hurt really bad. My tongue hurts and feels raw. Can someone tell me when this will get better. I took them out to clean them for the first time today..... man my mouth looks awful. Sigh. The valium he gave me did no good to relax me, so i was all kinds of tense then I got them pulled. The Vicodin made me throw up, this had better get better soon. Any advice?:cry:

im pretty much going through the excact same thing....im soo sorry :XXLhug: although im not having problems with my tounge. i just had a full upper and lower extraction done tuesday morning. they gave me a flexeril and valium to take the night before then i had to take them again an hour before my aptt. time. They did not help me relax either. which was quite upsetting! but the vicodin made me puke all day today! finally my hubby called the dentist and they told me to eat something, and called me in a script of darvocet for the pain which is quite bad still unfortuanltley. im sorry i cant give you much advice but for the vomiting i would say try and get something on your stomach it may help. This has to get better for us soon!!! sorry about the spelling! (wasnt my best subject) lol pretty soon this will all be over and we will be smiling!! keep in touch take care!:grouphug:

gabby899 said:
So I had my teeth pulled on Wednesday and they put the dentures in right after. They hurt really bad. My tongue hurts and feels raw. Can someone tell me when this will get better. I took them out to clean them for the first time today..... man my mouth looks awful. Sigh. The valium he gave me did no good to relax me, so i was all kinds of tense then I got them pulled. The Vicodin made me throw up, this had better get better soon. Any advice?:cry:

No looking back now my friend, Think Postive, i actually felt better taken a couple of advils, it worked better than the Vicidons.. I only had upper teeth removed though.

Hi Gabby,
It's not fun having immediate dentures, is it? :cry:
Your gums are naturally sore because they've been through the trauma of surgery, so it's understandable the denture will feel uncomfortable. But it WILL get better, I promise. If you keep them in as much as possible for the next few weeks, they'll actually help your gums to heal by keeping food out of the holes and protecting your gums. I'd definitely stick to soft foods for a week or two, though.
It usually takes about 6 weeks for the swelling to go all the way down, but having said that there are some who have no swelling after a week, and even some (but very few) who still have swollen gums after 2 months! But every day, your gums and your denture will feel just a little better than yesterday, and soon you won't even know you're wearing a denture at all!
Good luck, and please keep us updated. :)

Warm salt water risnes a few times a day should help your gums feel better. If your tongue is painful it could be that the denture needs a bit of trimming. Expect to make some trips to the dentist over the next few weeks for adjustments.
Trust me..it does get better. It just takes a lot of patience. :XXLhug:

Hi gabby, I merged your posts and support messages all into one thread so you won't have duplicated posts and could keep better track of the kind folks' responses.

Thank you all for your answers! Does anyone know how long before I can sleep at night without them in? I just hope this pain goes away. It is very awkard to have them in my mouth, (of course) but i am starting to get a little better at my speech. :grouphug:

Thank you all for your answers! Does anyone know how long before I can sleep at night without them in? I just hope this pain goes away. It is very awkard to have them in my mouth, (of course) but i am starting to get a little better at my speech. :grouphug:

I think I slept without mine the fourth night if I remember correctly. It was really nice to take them out and really snuggle down in my pillow. :)

Back