• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In pain, tired and need to vent

D

desperatedave

Hi all, just found you all through google.

Basically, I type here after my second night of no sleep and having no more than 5 hours a night for the past 7 or so weeks, mostly 2 or 3 hours and i'm feeling very weak and in lots of pain, so forgive if I mis-spell or make no sense.

I am having 2 broken teeth extracted tomorrow and that worries me, but i'm not sure I can survive until then.

Around 7 weeks ago I went to the dentist because of severe pain and was told I needed 3 teeth extracted. They could do 2 at the surgery and the other would need to be done at hospital. I was given some antibiotics as I had swollen gums. They had no appointments for me until 7 weeks later (tomorrow)

I then had to go back in emergency 2 weeks ago. I had to wait 2 days and I turned up only to be told the dentist wasn't coming in today and they were looking for a replacement and sent me home. They phoned me later to say they'd passed my details to another dentist and that they'd call me. That dentist did, but he was a private dentist which I wouldn't be able to afford, and in any case he refused as i'd started a course of treatment with my current dentist. So I called my local PCT as I was desperate and they contacted my dentist who saw me the next day. The dentist didn't look at my mouth as he had no time, just gave me different antibiotics - these haven't worked either.

So, I can't sleep as everytime I lay down it hurts within 30 seconds and I have to get up. The only thing that helps is ice and cold water and that's brief.

I don't like my dental practice. A couple of years ago I had an abcess and the dentist refused me antibiotics and said it would heal. This he told me after he finished eating his apple in front of me and then just prodded and tried to sell me work for other parts of my mouth (i'm fee exempt) I don't forgive being sent away in pain and not taken seriously.
The same practice also once injected me with the numbing injection for 2 fillings, ran out of time and turned the 2nd tooth into a 'chip'. I no longer have that tooth.

Another practice the dentist got funny with me and told me if I ever had an abscess again to "put a fork in it" :o. My only other experience with that practice was a lovely lady dentist who spoke to me like a human and let me know as she went along everything she was doing - I want her back :mad:

My previous practice also done some shoddy crown work according to dentists i've seen since. They won't sort out the slightly uncomfortable at times situation, again I believe it's because I am fee exempt.

Anyway, enough rambling on, i'm in severe pain - comes and goes, but can't sleep and no-one takes me seriously :mad: I've had mouth problems ever since a child and that's not down to just me, i've always had issues no-one has ever worked out why. I'm worried that the lump may be serious, but dentist says it's just an inflamed gum - the worst pain I have ever had :mad:

I just wanted to vent as no-one listens or takes me seriously and if anyone has any ideas on how to sleep or reduce the pain as I have 33 hours until my appoitnment and don't know how i'm going to survive. I've been punchign walls etc when pain has been at it's worst and close to tears and i'm not a softy :cry:

Thanks

Dave

Dave
Would suggest you go and see your GP (Medical Doctor) for some very strong painkillers and get yourself a new NHS dentist asap as soon as this fiasco is sorted.
If it's really bad go to A&E..you won't be the first who has had to do this. If it's a hospital with an Oral Surgery Dept they may even sort you out.

Your dentist could also 'numb you up' to provide temporary pain relief but doubt they would agree seeing as they are generally so unhelpful.
I'm not convinced that even in the NHS leaving someone for seven weeks on antibiotics who came in as an emergency is an acceptable standard of care. Any NHS patient registered with a dentist or not is entitled to emergency care for pain relief, it strikes me you haven't been getting that but rather have been passed from pillar to post.
Complaint is probably in order when you are in a stronger position to care about such things.
:grouphug:

Hi Brit, thanks for your reply. Somehow i've just grabbed 4 hours sleep on the sofa :sleep:

My GP is just as bad as my dentist sadly. Every one I see jsut tells me to take ibuprofen. Had they sorted me earlier, I may have not had this pain.

I do need another NHS dentist, i'm not sure we have another one in our town though.

I went to A&E when the dentist turned me away a couple of years back. They turned me away too saying they couldn't help with dental pain. I know they have an oral department as I did some voluntary work in the hospital.

I'm not remotely happy with their 'treatment' of me. As you say, once this is sorted (if?) then I will try and do something about their manner. Sadly, nothing will likely be done and i'll end up at the same dentist next time who may, allowed or not, make it a little more painful than they can choose not to make it :mad:

Right now, the pain is there but not terrible. It's early evening it starts getting worse for some reason.

Hang in there mate, we've all been there - there were times when I would have rather died than experience the pain I felt. I would say though, don't lay flat on your back when ur tryin to rest becuase this only increases the blood pressure in your head which applifies the pain.

Thanks Ryan.

Yes, I feel like I'd rather not be here at times. I'm up again and cannot sleep as the pain will not let me.

I'm trying to rest sitting up, but no luck. Just so tired as well as in pain.

Hang in there. Wish I had some advice to make the pain go away. We can all sympathize.

Thanks aintreallyme.

I've just got back from A&E as the pain was so bad last night. They gave me some ibuprofen liquid and some oromorph.

Dentist in just over 8 hours and very worried about the extractions and whether it will make any difference.

Need some sleep if this painkiller will let me. Feels okay at the moment.

Good luck today dave - you'll be fine. Let us know how it went when u get back buddy!

With severe dental pain I was recommended solpadeine and iboprufen and it did help, taking them alternately two hourly intervals between each. Hope things improve.

Just venting - i've been cancelled until tomorrow morning!

They keep cancelling me! I am so angry!

Emergency appointment at a dental access centre in 35 mins, but possibly only to help with pain. It's something.

try putting an aspirin on the tooth and let it desolve...taste terrible but might help.

Dave, so sorry that you are in such pain. I think you should consult your MD... he can give you something strong for pain and likely refer you to a sensible dentist. Good luck! I'll be wishing you well.

I wouldn't advise putting an aspirin on the tooth as this can burn your gums and cause more damage! My dentist says he sees that kind of thing too much!

Thanks folks. Will post more when at a PC as on a phone, but the dental access centre done in 20 minutes what should have been done 7 weeks ago by my dentist. Uncomfortable now, but not in agony as I type.

Thank goodness for that...as I said you are entitled to immediate treatment for pain relief. The best thing I can say about your current dentist is maybe you took his timeline too literally and he would have expected you to come back earlier given all the pain.
You should be fine the Access centre - we've only had good reports on them to date.
Ooh just seen your last post....pleased it has been sorted and as you say, no reason it couldn't have been ages ago.

Last edited:
My dentist is so bad that I doubt I misunderstood him. I've been sent away, in pain before and he knows it.

Access centre were great. Everyone friendly and joking around. If all dentists were like that, i'd have no fear at all.

Hi all, just found you all through google.

Basically, I type here after my second night of no sleep and having no more than 5 hours a night for the past 7 or so weeks, mostly 2 or 3 hours and i'm feeling very weak and in lots of pain, so forgive if I mis-spell or make no sense.

I am having 2 broken teeth extracted tomorrow and that worries me, but i'm not sure I can survive until then.

Around 7 weeks ago I went to the dentist because of severe pain and was told I needed 3 teeth extracted. They could do 2 at the surgery and the other would need to be done at hospital. I was given some antibiotics as I had swollen gums. They had no appointments for me until 7 weeks later (tomorrow)

I then had to go back in emergency 2 weeks ago. I had to wait 2 days and I turned up only to be told the dentist wasn't coming in today and they were looking for a replacement and sent me home. They phoned me later to say they'd passed my details to another dentist and that they'd call me. That dentist did, but he was a private dentist which I wouldn't be able to afford, and in any case he refused as i'd started a course of treatment with my current dentist. So I called my local PCT as I was desperate and they contacted my dentist who saw me the next day. The dentist didn't look at my mouth as he had no time, just gave me different antibiotics - these haven't worked either.

So, I can't sleep as everytime I lay down it hurts within 30 seconds and I have to get up. The only thing that helps is ice and cold water and that's brief.

I don't like my dental practice. A couple of years ago I had an abcess and the dentist refused me antibiotics and said it would heal. This he told me after he finished eating his apple in front of me and then just prodded and tried to sell me work for other parts of my mouth (i'm fee exempt) I don't forgive being sent away in pain and not taken seriously.
The same practice also once injected me with the numbing injection for 2 fillings, ran out of time and turned the 2nd tooth into a 'chip'. I no longer have that tooth.

Another practice the dentist got funny with me and told me if I ever had an abscess again to "put a fork in it" :o. My only other experience with that practice was a lovely lady dentist who spoke to me like a human and let me know as she went along everything she was doing - I want her back :mad:

My previous practice also done some shoddy crown work according to dentists i've seen since. They won't sort out the slightly uncomfortable at times situation, again I believe it's because I am fee exempt.

Anyway, enough rambling on, i'm in severe pain - comes and goes, but can't sleep and no-one takes me seriously :mad: I've had mouth problems ever since a child and that's not down to just me, i've always had issues no-one has ever worked out why. I'm worried that the lump may be serious, but dentist says it's just an inflamed gum - the worst pain I have ever had :mad:

I just wanted to vent as no-one listens or takes me seriously and if anyone has any ideas on how to sleep or reduce the pain as I have 33 hours until my appoitnment and don't know how i'm going to survive. I've been punchign walls etc when pain has been at it's worst and close to tears and i'm not a softy :cry:

Thanks

Dave

I'm in the exact same boat, dave.

what we have is called acute pulpitis, I havn't been able to lie down in weeks, i've had to "sleep" if that's what you can call it, by propping my self up against a wall with a bunch of pillows and blankets.

i'm lucky to get an hour or two! I have no insurance, and my family is unsympathetic. They just don't get how bad this hurts.

but I do know how you feel.. I know how bad it hurts, you've atleast got one person here who is going through it with you!

My dentist is so bad that I doubt I misunderstood him. I've been sent away, in pain before and he knows it.

Access centre were great. Everyone friendly and joking around. If all dentists were like that, i'd have no fear at all.

Great - you should have asked for a recommendation for a better NHS dentist from them. They deal with emergencies all the time and from the reports we get seem to be well-trained in putting people at ease. It's a shame you can't go there all the time. Did you ask if that was an option? I think the rules vary from place to place.
Think you need to register a complaint about the other dentist but maybe best to find someone else first. It sounds to me like any NHS dentist (even a newly qualified one with little experience) would be better than someone who sends you away in pain and is nasty to you.

kharaa - sorry to hear you are going through this.

Is there nothing you can do to get out of pain?

brit - Yes, I have a sheet of dentists. Only two in my town, one the bad one, so i'm going to try and get in with the other one.

I can't go to the dental access centre everytime. It's for emergencies only. I will make a complaint though.

I am still sore, but it's alot better than the agony I was in.

I'll stick around this place and try and offer my sympathies in the future as you've been helpful to me.

Back