• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So i'm going to the dentist tommorow...

C

Commoner

Former Member
I arranged a checkup at a new dentist (I need alot of dental work done) and it's tommorow, my GP gave me some diazepam to take before to settle anxiety, i'm terrified at the moment... so much that i think i'd rather settle for bad teeth than go tommorow... i don't know how or if i'm going to go tommorow... :(

You'll go. :XXLhug: First appointments are nothing...they'll have a look, maybe do xrays..and talk. The anticipation is always worse than the actual appointment. ;)

Hi Commoner,

I just want to let you know that I just went through the very same thing you are (my first appointment was this morning). I made it through the appointment (not without shaking and a bit of crying) and feel so relieved to have the first one behind me. Everyone was very compassionate and caring, and most importantly (for me) they weren't judgmental.

You can do it! :XXLhug:

-nellie

Hi Commoner,

I just want to let you know that I just went through the very same thing you are (my first appointment was this morning). I made it through the appointment (not without shaking and a bit of crying) and feel so relieved to have the first one behind me. Everyone was very compassionate and caring, and most importantly (for me) they weren't judgmental.

You can do it! :XXLhug:

-nellie

That's what i'm really worried about, i hope to GOD that the dentist i'm seeing is a good one...

Which dentist are you going to Commoner?

Dave.;D

My fears of dentists and dental procedures are many, but my biggest fear of my first appointment was that they wouldn't be as compassionate as I need in order to get through this.

I went in, fully prepared to walk out at the first red flag. That would have been very hard (for anyone, I'm sure) - to have to walk out and start the research all over. On one hand I think I got lucky, but I also think that many dentists are more caring and compassionate these days than the ones I had the displeasure of being treated by as a child.

I'm sure your appointment will go by very quickly tomorrow. Please post an update when you can :)

My fears of dentists and dental procedures are many, but my biggest fear of my first appointment was that they wouldn't be as compassionate as I need in order to get through this.

I went in, fully prepared to walk out at the first red flag. That would have been very hard (for anyone, I'm sure) - to have to walk out and start the research all over. On one hand I think I got lucky, but I also think that many dentists are more caring and compassionate these days than the ones I had the displeasure of being treated by as a child.

I'm sure your appointment will go by very quickly tomorrow. Please post an update when you can :)

Your post brought me some support that I needed myself this morning. I too found my new dentist to be very supportive and sympathetic. Lets hope we can both deal with whatever our next appointments bring.

Good luck to anyone going to visit for the first time for a long time.

Which dentist are you going to Commoner?

Dave.;D

Ended up choosing one which was abit closer, Northgate Dental Health

My appointment is in 50 minutes now, craaaap i don't want to go at all............... :shame:

Yes looks a good practice just up the road from me.

Dave.:cheers:

Hi Commoner,

Dont' cancel your appointment! I recently went through the same thing, I knew my wisdom teeth had to come out, but I was sick with fear on the day of my exam. I got through it by thinking "THIS ONE IS ONLY AN EXAM.... HE"S ONLY CHECKING THINGS OUT." I did get through the exam, and I'm sure you will too expecially with the meds you were given. It has a nice, pleasant, dreamy effect. Don't hesitate to ask for more before you go back for your next appointment, and if you are having something major done, check on IV sedation. It's worth the money.

HUGS!
Kelly

I got through the appointment!, the diazepam worked a treat although i still was a little embarresed to show the dentist the state my teeth are in, i've been booked for a dental hygenist and another one i can't remember for a month from now, looks like i won't undergo any actual treatment for a while which is abit of a comfort.

I'm sort of half looking towards the next appointments :party:

Good for you! I'm happy to hear that you made it :cheers:

Glad things went ok Commoner.

Dave.:cheers:

Back