• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today is the day

J

Justshakin

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I have been "lurking" for the past month or so. I need to get to the dentist as I know I have a selection of toothy problems but I am shaking at the thought of it, my stomach is a washing machine as I write and I feel cold and shivery. I feel so ashamed of my mouth and like some posters try not to smile too much. I should be able to do this. In fact my fear is impacting on my children as well as I don't take them as I should. I know I should, I know the reasons but fear has got the better of me. However I took the plunge and e mailed a new surgery, told them my fears etc and have an appt in less that 2 hours......... I can't even tell my family I am going as I just want to do this for me. I am going to do it though, just hope they are kind and non judgemental. I am ashamed enough without anyone telling me what I already know. Ooh some thoughts there just spilled out but wish me luck .........please.:thumbsup:

Good luck!

You're making a positive step. Let us know how it goes and don't take anything they say personally, you know the truth and as you say, you need someone kind and willing to help over someone rude and telling you off.

Best of luck.

Right got that first appointment over and I could not have wished for a nicer visit. The dentist I saw was lovely, very kind and sympathetic and listened as did the dental nurse. Yes I need work done but we will take it step by step. She told me exactly what she will do next visit and I have made the appointment. A few tears were shed and tissues given without any recriminations for bad dental behaviour. A positive experience so much so I am going back twice in one day, once for me next Weds and then later in the day with my children. I wanted later appts so I am not passing my fear of going on to them. But I have come back with a smile on my face and not yet got the fear of next week. I am sure I will get jittery but I will survive and succeed. Not going to let one bad dentist put me off.

Well done! :jump:

I found it such a releif when I knew the truth about what needed to be done, I was convinced that I needed a whole load taken out but that was not the case. It took a lot of appointments to get fixed back up and I took it in tiny baby steps all the way, but I got there and so can you. :XXLhug:

Thanks for that. Yes it is going to be baby steps but actually I am feeling good about myself today. I have made a start on a long road and I will succeed in the end. The support from somewhere like this is great though as you know you are not the only one going through the same feelings. Hope things are okay for you now.

You have a very positive outlook on this, thats good and tells me you will get through to the end.

I understand the good feeling you get when you realise that you are taking control of your phobia, not allowing you to be ruled by it anymore.

I'm doing fine now, having teeth the right shape is still taking some getting used to but not having pain is wonderful. I had a tiny shard of bone work its way out from where I had the nasty infected tooth removed, but after reading of others experience of bone shards on here, meant I knew what it was and didn't panic about it. You are right, this site is so powerful in providing support, I wish I had found it years ago.

I had a goal of wanting to hear the dentist say that there was nothing left to do and that I was not to come back except for a routine exam. I was determined to get there no matter how small the steps I had to take. I could hardly believe it when that day finally came round, I felt so proud.

You can do this and you will succeed.

Just been back for my second appointment today to have two small fillings and they are done. I didn't have the anxiety of last time with not been able to sleep. I thought about it a little this morning and fell a bit quivery but I went and am so thrilled that I managed to get through it. Have booked another appointment to have two larger fillings done later in the month but I really do feel as if I might get to the end of the line with this. Thank you for all the support

Thats brilliant! :jump:

Your mouth is getting better, its not as bad now as when you first showed the dentist, plus those small fillings won't turn into big fillings now, you have prevented it getting worse. You took control over your teeth! It feels great doesn't it.

You will get there.

Just to report back

Thought I had to report back and let people know of a success story. I wrote here in August stating my fears about going back to a dentist after a couple of years of not visiting due to an awful experience with a root canal treatment. I have since found a great dentist who took the time to listen to me, worked at my pace, talked about what she was going to do and won my trust. I have been a number of times now and had some fillings done. On Tuesday I had another appointment which turned out to be my last for six months. I needed two fillings and these were the first with the noisier drills since my horrendous experience. I could not have asked for a better approach as the dentist told me exactly what she was going to do, asked me if I was comfortable etc. I couldn't believe it.

My mouth is not perfect by any means yet, I will still have some work to be done on two teeth that are worn down however we are leaving those for a little while to give me a bit of a break as they are not causing immediate problems. I was so thrilled about not having to go back for six months, I had visions of endless months of dental visits ( well according to my previous dentist).

I took my children to visit as well and they have been given the all clear for six months.

I am beginning to lose that fear, not have that churning feeling as I approach the dentist, still a way to go for complete lack of fear but I am getting there. Thank you to all those who helped me on the forum, it was just what was needed. Please if you are in doubt about going find a dentist who listens to you first, you can usually tell by the way in which they deal with your initial enquiry. Lots of luck to everyone, you can do it.

Hi Justshakin nice to meet you:welcome:

Dave:)

that's wonderful, Just Shakin!

Thats great news, well done. :jump:

Getting the right dentist who will communicate with you goes a whole long way to making it easier to get the treatment.