• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hospital Appointment for extractions

F

fearofdentist

I have just got a date for my assessment at the Maxillofacial department at my local hospital tomorrow, told that nothing will be done on that first visit and it is just for an assessment and may be another xray.

Dentist refererred me to them a month ago to have 3 wisdom teeth (More like roots) removed. I'm now wondering whether there will be any pain involved, in getting them taken out at the time and after the local anasthetic injection works off.

Will I be able to go to work the following day, or will I still be in pain and for how long, after having them out. Do they still do the gas option as opposed to having a IV sedation? Anyone got any advice?

Hi fearofthedentist Hospitals do General Anaesthetic if you need it.

Dave.:)

fear, it really depends on the person. I've known some people who had hardly any discomfort at all after extractions, and some that were miserable. You shouldn't feel a thing at the time though. You should get a prescription for pain pills to take after your appointment. Are you going with IV sedation? I'd certainly prefer that to gas..but that's just me. They can give you something for pain/swelling through that IV.

I now have an appointment for the 28th September - going to remove 3 wisdom roots which are no hopers, but feeling like I'm just going to go with the local. Told they can freeze the whole gum so wont feel anything. So I will do what I did when I got the fillings done and just close my eyes.

I'm told they may need to cut the gum and get it stitched back up, I should have asked at the time but would I need to go back in to have the stitches taken out?

Doubltful you'd need to return to have stitches out. Most of them just dissolve in about a week or so. :)

Well today was the day and I had all 3 roots out under a local anasthetic only.

Its been several hours now since the procedure at 9.30am and still there is blood in the socket areas. I'm afraid to eat anything incase it starts up again. I'm slightly concerned and wondering when this bleeding will stop.

I'm told that I cannot rinse my mouth with water for 24 hours, so just taste the blood in my mouth. Told I can hold a mouthful of salt water over the extraction for about 30 seconds, but not to rinse. How do you do that without rinsing and spitting it out?

Should I use this salt water on day one after eating, or wait for 24 hours before using it?

I have the rest of the week off work, but so glad this is over with at the moment. The anasthetic has worn off now and I'm not feeling any pain. Did not get any pain killers either.

I am the farthest thing from a dentist and know nothing about root removal but did they give you gauze to bite down on to help the bleeding? I had five teeth out last week and they gave me gauze. If you use the gauze make sure you mosisten it with water first. I had to resort to biting down on a moistened tea bag folded in half which helped stop it from bleeding. I also got pain pills which helped for a while then had no affect at all other than odd dreams. I am taking advil and tylenol now. As far as spitting out the salt water what I did was just slightly opened my mouth and let the salt water sort of run out. I had to wipe my face with a towel afterwards. I tilt my head and place the salt water over the extraction sites and just leave it. I do not swish per say as you would when you have mouthwash in your mouth. That is great you do not have any pain. :)I hope I helped some. My thoughts are with you.:-*

Well after a visit into A & E yesterday, one of the extractions would not stop bleeding throughout the night. It appears to have stopped now, at least there was no blood on the pillow this morning :)

I think I'm done for about now, still would like to get goofy crookied teeth sorted out as one of the front teeth is sticking forward and overlaps the tooth to the right of it, thinking about invisalign but not sure how that would work in that scenario and my dentist does not do this so would probably have to make an appointment some place else.

I'm wondering what can be done about that, whether vaneers would solve problem, as I have discoloured and stained teeth too. Would teeth whitening work as stains are intrinsic acording to dentist. Should I look at invisalign to straighten them not sure how they would fix it though. I will proably look at implants for the two holes I now have in my lower jaw on each side where the roots were. The other being on the far top right I can live with.

Will look into the implants next year, as I understand these can cost upwards of £2,000 a piece and need to start saving for that!!!

Back