• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi

N

Nervous

Hi, I just joined this form today, this place seems like a good place to ask some questions.
So I here it goes
I went for a cleaning today (my teeth are still sore) and I found out that I need too small fillings. My dentist is pretty nice (well for a dentist anyway :p) but Iam scared to get them filled. He does use this pink stuff first but only wipes it on and gets the needle right away :scared: My dentist does not have any nitrous or oral medication that he uses when working on his patients. One filling is on the bottom which I think I can handle (thats what Iam telling myself, anyway) but one is my front tooth, I think it is a root canal tooth which means I might not need freezing since there is no nerve but if I do need freezing on the front I will have to find someone with nitrous because I can't handle any more needles in the front of my mouth but Iam also so :scared: of nitrous aswell.
I found this dentist if needed [out-of-date link removed]
Does anyone have experience with them? The dentist I have now is really easy to get to, since he is less than a 10 min walk. Also if I have to go to this new dentist I guess I can't go back to the old one :confused:
I was also wondering if I can drink a calming herbal tea before going on monday or would the tea some how stop the freezing from working properly :confused: Sometimes when the dentist drills it hurts and I need more freezing and one time the extra freezing did not work :(
Can you tell Iam nervous :redface: If you guys could help me out with these questions that would be great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way to empower yourself here is to say, if I am not numb, the dentist can't work on me, it is his job to get me properly numb.
If he fails at this, I will politely terminate the appt rather than add to my bad experiences.

Chances are it will be fine this time but don't stay with a dentist who expects you to put up with pain during treatment, good dentists can always get teeth numb or come up with options.

Maybe you should try a new dentist if your current one has lost your trust - your decision really.
Of course having topped you up once, few go looking for trouble, you may have to point out that it still hasn't worked.

You are in control, not them because you pay the bill for their service.
:grouphug:

Info on painless injections is here:

Thanks for the reply :) The links did help, I was worried that no one would reply before I go to the dentist tommorow. Iam still scared and even told my dentist that if I need freezing in the front I will have to go somewhere else. The dentist I have now has all the old technology like loud drills and hand held needles
(I wish he had the wand) he does not have any gas if needed (Iam scared to get that aswell) I will let you know how I do tommorow if I don't shake uncontrollably that would be great :cry:

Iam back and I did it :yay: The front tooth did not need freezing and got filled with just a bit of discomfort. The bottom one needed freezing, he put some gel to freeze the gum but got the needle right away again :( but he rubed the side of my cheek with his mirror to distract me and it did not hurt too much. I was still scared and tense but I kept myself in the chair. The polisher went flying across my chest because it was not attached right but it did not hurt me, he also had to polish some extra glue off my tooth that he missed but that was done quickly. Now Iam just worried about my bite but I will just see how it goes for a few days and hopefully I won't have to go back for 9 months, for my next check up.

Good for you!!!:yay::jump:

Back