• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

scared

O

ogaar

Im a big guy, not scared of much really, but when you bring up going to the dentist, I have issues. I have not been since I was 18 or so and Im gonna be 40 next year. Ive had really bad experiences in previous visits when I was younger, being left in a room with a big needle stuck in my gum attached to a big metal stand for what seemed an eternity, feeling like the locals didnt work to numb the pain, I have a slight tolerance to locals even when getting stitches etc. Ive smoked, chewed snuff and done some other things which make my teeth look nasty and I think a big part of my fear is being judged by my previous habits. Til now, Ive had no real pain but a molar broke off recently and well, it sucks. This is causing my marriage to have issues. Ive got to go but think I need to see a shrink to get to that point. WOW, im in pain and still finding reasons not to go. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

Nothing is wrong with you. LOTS of people share your fears and worries. I think most everyone here has had bad past experiences that have caused those fears.
Your first step should be finding a dentist you're comfortable with and can trust. Ask friends..ask family..do research. Believe me when I say there are dentists out there who understand our fears. If you aren't comfortable with a dentist remember..YOU'RE the boss and in control. Don't be afraid to speak up..or walk out and find another dentist.
A good dentist will not judge you or your teeth. They are there to help you..and you're the one paying their salary. ;)
That first visit is always the worst..just opening your mouth and letting them look around. But once you get started it does get easier. And from my own experience I can tell you...the longer you wait...the more you'll need done. Better to bite the bullet and get started now. Good luck!! :XXLhug:

Have a look around on here, see if you find a dentist recommended in your area and make that first move via e mail. You don't have to do anything more than that, explain the situation and be honest.

I had my first appointment for ages yesterday and I am very proud of myself for getting that far. I am going to take it in baby steps. Yes I need things doing but I will get there and so will you.

You have made that first step by finding this forum and talking about your fears. Now see how this can help or else post to see if someone can recommend a good dentist in your own area.

What ever you decide the best of luck, you are not the only person out there feeling like you do. You will get support here.

being left in a room with a big needle stuck in my gum attached to a big metal stand for what seemed an eternity

:welcome:
I have no idea what was going on here - that it is weird??? Think you had a pretty bad dentist there.

'feeling like the locals didn't work to numb the pain'
Ah...now this is more common but don't worry - all teeth can be got numb if the dentist has the right techniques and the modern LAs are better than they were 20 years ago

The key is finding a kind dentist you like and trust who can treat you comfortably and atraumatically - this makes all the other issues :hidesbehindsofa: go away pretty much overnight once you find this person :cloud9:. Check them out before committing to an appt, especially if no recommendation held.
Best wishes on your journey to dental health :grouphug:

You are not a wimp !!!!!!!!!!!!! this phobia can bring any person to a quivering wreck!!!!!!!! man or woman!!!!!!

Listen to brit and terrified woman - you are not alone and we will be with you every step of the way!!!!!

I am a grown 41 year old woman and have an 8 year old daughter - and would rather face child birth again than go to a dentist

My first appointment i was shaking like a leaf and was sobbing like a child!!!!

but see the sense of elation once i had gotten the exam done

I needed work done so had sedation which really worked for me because even though i was concious i did not care about the work i had done - 6 fillings and 2 teeth out!!!

My phobia is not cured but i hope to it easies as i go on and i will nevr miss a 6 month check up again (before my recent treatment i went at least 18 years without dental treatment and the pain isuffered was unreal)

so dont think you are alone and if you want inspiration look at terrified womans journal!!!!!!

we Are hre when you need us:welcome::grouphug::grouphug:

Back