• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new and would like support

M

mana

Hi. It has taken me months to finally will up the courage to write a topic in regards to my emotions and the current condition of my teeth. I am only twenty-four years old, but my experience with dentists have left me scarred deeply.

When I was younger, my mother insisted on taking me to dentists that were bad and getting fillings that I did not need so that she could worm money out of the state and my grandfather, as well as attention. She was a single mother desperate and would throw me into the concrete ground to damage my teeth. Eventually I was put into foster care in my pre-teens and there the dentists did the same thing. Unnecessary work that I didn't need. It was until I was sixteen and living in a safe environment with my grandparents that they begun to fix the damage that I had with proper fillings, crowns, and root canals.

I went to the dentist once when a tooth was giving me unbearable pain. He offered to be kind and understanding of my phobias as well as only charge me a set amount we agreed upon due to my work condition. He changed his mind after and billed me thousands of dollars for a root canal with a temporary filling that fell apart within a week.

The past week my fillings in my front teeth have fallen out to the part where one tooth is nearly gone, the other has a large gap in it, and the third has a jagged edge that keeps catching my lip in it. They were the best of my current teeth. I have been doing lots of research with close friends and my therapist to decide that dentures would be the best option for me.

It took a lot of courage but I did call a couple of dentists in my area only to be told that I was too young for dentures and they flat out refused to even see me to judge for themselves. I'm so discouraged! My plans are to move out of the country within six months so I would like to have this taken care of prior. I work with elderly people who have told me their stories about dentures and most of the people I know with them have had them before they were twenty years old! I have a part time job, uninsured, and have been saving up for this. I can not afford implants. I don't even think I have the mental strength to go through with implants knowing I would have to continually see dentists. I understand the effects of dentures and what my future will be like with them, but I would enjoy becoming a mother and living life being able to SMILE.

My paranoia in dentists and the association of greed of money (as in previous incidents) is hindering me in going through with this. I am trying to find a dentist that will LISTEN to my words and not just LOOK at my teeth to think CHA-CHING.

I don't even know where to begin. I wasn't raised how to figure these things out being in foster care and I have no family I can ask for advice. My friends have been fortunate enough to have beautiful teeth and don't fear dentists. Are there any recommended websites I can read about this kind of stuff? Thank you in advance for your kind words and help. I do appreciate it.

Hi, and:welcome:!
I am sorry I can't give you much help in the way of the abuse that you suffered.
We have a wonderful psychologist on board who is always willing to help us out.....Stress Doc......you should PM him, I'm sure he could help!
All the best,
:hug2:,
Jen

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Hi Mana. I'm pretty new here myself but this place has made a huge difference already! I've never heard of over-dentistry before I'm quite shocked! You sound like you've had it pretty rough but dont despair too much, there's a lot of helpful people on this board.

Let me tell you somthing which I hope will help you - my sister needed dentures when she was 27. She was going through a rough time with her husband who would lose his cool regularly and hit her on several occasions. Anyway, she divorced him but thought she would never meet a nice guy because she's had dentures and never got that lucky with guys anyway.

Three years on and she's living a really happy life with one of the most down to earth guy's I know and they have a house and a baby boy. The dentures are second nature to her now and not a problem at all.

Put it this way - if you had trouble with your vision you'd wear glasses. If you have teeth trouble you may need dentures. It doesn't matter how old you are.

So don't worry about a thing, read other peoples success stories and keep us posted with any updates yourself.

:welcome:

Last edited: