• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sept. 13th=Dental D Day

N

NANAx4

I have had several BAD experiences in dental chairs. My phobia is based on those experiences.

Even though I had this fear, I took exceptional care of my teeth. I brushed 3-4 times a day and was a floss addict. I kept floss in my purse, my desk at work, the glove box in the car. As much as I hated it, I also went to the dentist regularly.

About 7 yrs ago, I had a cracked tooth and went to the dentist. It turns out that a few of the meds I was on for high blood pressure cause dry mouth and my enamel was chipping.

He explained that I would need my back 12 teeth pulled as they couldn't be saved and I would need to wear partials. As frozen with fear as I was, I did it.

Even though the dr said all of my front teeth were fine, a few months later they started chipping too. So all the money spent all those thousands of dollars for nothing.

I went to a new dentist and was told ALL of my teeth needed to go. I said screw it and never went back.

As of today, I only have 2 teeth on the top that haven't broken off. I always hide my mouth an cover it if laughing or whatever.

The pain has become so intense with the constant infections that I finally went to the dentist, made impressions and am having my teeth pulled and immediate dentures put in on Sept. 13th.

I have cried like a baby over the fear. My palms are sweating as I type. I made my hubby SWEAR to me that he wouldn't let me back out.

To change the topic... I have found this forum most helpful in learning that I am not alone in my fears. Thanks to all of you who tell you story and are so brave to post before and after photos.

hugs,
Nana

Nana, don't be afraid..it honestly isn't the end of the world. I know..been there, done that..eight weeks ago. Yes, it will take you a couple of weeks to get the hang of talking clearly and eating..but you will. Don't give up. If you have discomfort, go back to your dentist. Immediate dentures will always need a number of adjustments..a trim here..a smoothing there. It may take a few weeks to get them really comfortable. Feel free to go read my journal..I detail everything I went through for the past few months..even my extractions. (Which with IV sedation are a piece of cake!)
Good luck..and don't get too down. Think of the thousands (if not millions) of people who have done this before you. They survived..and so will you. :XXLhug:

I will check out your journal. Thanks so much.

Back